newbie... picking up an 86 for Scca RallyCross. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
newbie... picking up an 86 for Scca RallyCross.
Thursday, November 03, 2005 12:58 PM
getting a 86 coupe, 5 sp, no options, 170k, recent tune-up. rins and drives fine. $400.
This will be my next scca rallycross car.

So...
I have a few questions:
How does the clutch/ tranny hold up to abuse?
how does the engine hold up to abuse?
What kinda shifting rpms am I looking at?
Are there any places where stress can bend things out of whack?
what kinda HP/Tq does the 2.0l have?
what's the weight of an 86 coupe?
Are there any cheep go-faster tricks (other than CAI, Exhaust)
What's the ebay availability of replacement/performance parts?

and anything else that comes to your mind.

thanks

Griffin

Re: newbie... picking up an 86 for Scca RallyCross.
Thursday, November 03, 2005 5:40 PM
Sorry I can't help you out with any info, I just wanted to say thats cool!

Thursday, November 03, 2005 8:07 PM
Specs are for a 86 with the 2.0 are 86 hp @ 4900rpm, has 100 ft lbs torque @ 3000 rpm. The compression is 9.3:1 oil pressure is 68 @ 1200.As for weight check the vin tag inside the door jam on the driver side,has it printed there.U should consider doing a suspension upgrade front and rear since the cavs have a straight axle on the rear just shocks.I would recom getting a strut tower bar for the front ,good luck finding one, and the rear new shocks,mounts and springs.The rear suspension stuff is easy to find at advance auto or the auto zone I prefer advance just recently rebuilt my entire rear end on my 85 type 10.Here's my page on cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride647974. Scroll thru the pages to see my rear end work.

Saturday, November 05, 2005 5:44 PM
As far as weight goes, you're looking at a car that orignally came in at 2,377 pounds.

2.0 OHV's are stout motors, but I don't know any besides the old KatechCavalier that were raced. 2.2's are more commonly built up and you can hunt down Scrufdog on here, he has more information about that. He built a hell of a 2.2 / automatic car that ran good with the help of some n20 .

Parts sources are scarce for 2.0 parts, but you can still find them at MANTAPART. Their service is very slow from what I have read, but they are the main place for suspension braces, racing goodies, etc.

Also, later model 2.2 4cyl stuff is swappable and can give you added power with low cost. 87-up 2.0 and 2.2 heads are aluminum and have MPFI setups and no distributor to mess with.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes!

Re: newbie... picking up an 86 for Scca RallyCross
Saturday, November 05, 2005 7:42 PM
The 87 up engine is really better, but some smallblock chevy parts were adaptable to the old OHV engine. I know that 1.6 rockers will fit if you retain the pivots from the stock head.

-->Slow
Monday, November 21, 2005 11:20 PM
if you want to stay a 4 cyl i'd recommend finding a motor out of a 94 cavy
they have roller valvetrain, mpfi injection, almost twice as much power.

your best bet is to do soem suspension work, polyurathane bushings, eibach springs, addco rear sway bar, z24 bar in the front, and a Z24 quick ratio steering rack. that car is going to handle like a pig with the stock FE1 suspension

Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:02 PM
slowolej wrote:The 87 up engine is really better, but some smallblock chevy parts were adaptable to the old OHV engine. I know that 1.6 rockers will fit if you retain the pivots from the stock head.

-->Slow

according to the Chevrolet Power Catalog I have small block V8 valvetrain components will fit the 2.0. The 87 is indeed much better as the ports and valves are larger and the head is more of a crossflow design. They're also better balanced as the pistons are lighter. Really sucks that K&N makes a drop-in filter for the pre-87 2.0 and not the '87-89 Don't they realize it's a much better motor???

car alarms are as effective as screen doors on a submarine!
Saturday, January 07, 2006 9:36 AM
i think your best bet would be swapping to a 2.2 head (93/94) port and polish and intake,muffler for some cheap performances

as for suspension if its a rally car you want somewhat of an higher suspension so station wagon rear springs and stock 1994 front springs all controlled by KYB GR2 along with all the polly bushings available!

than you need a roll cage,racing bucket and a lot of weight reduction (the roll cage will stiffen the car up a lot) you also need strut braces to stiffen it up more

hood pin are important, J latches doesnt really like rallying event

oh and something useful up front would be a skid plate not the plant the A arms in the dirt or something

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 1:03 AM
Man you totally stole my idea.

Questions I have.

Looking for a frist gen to rally x with as well.

Did any come with a V6?

I take it the Z24 is the optimal suspension package to have.

Should I be looking for an 87 Z24?

||Click to visit my Cardomain page|Omaha Racing|Nebraska Region SCCA||
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 7:04 PM
Actually 1986 was the first yr the cav z24 was a 2.8 v6,yes 1987 has the v6 but only only on z24 models.Ok and not really sure on how the suspensions are set up diff than the others.I am sure there are some here who can answer those ?s.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:10 PM
85 was the first year for the z24. it was the same as a v6 rs car with the z24 body kit. 86 was the first full year of the z24. it was a bit different from the v6 rs car performance wise. it had 2 1/4" exaust, 4 speed manual, sport handling package, body kit, 14" alloy wheels. the v6 in 85 and 86 was the cast iron head 2.8. 87 was essentialy the same car, but it came with the aluminum head 2.8, 5 speed manual, and came with the cowl hood, and optional wing and valance.

my opinion is find a solid coupe or hatch, z24 or not and build it for racing. most likley you are going to change out everything anyways that made the car a z24, so why bother searching high and low for a solid z24???

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 1:15 AM
I like to start out with it in a stock or close to stock class. I just am looking for one with a front swaybar and the engine with the most stock hp/tq.

I gather from what I am hearing that would be a 87 2.8 V6 Z24

||Click to visit my Cardomain page|Omaha Racing|Nebraska Region SCCA||
Wednesday, January 25, 2006 6:24 PM
an 87 2.8l would be your best bet. all cars had a front and rear swaybars, but different sizes. the z24 came with 30mm front and 21mm rear bars. an rs would have had 28mm/19mm, and the base had 26mm/17mm. the v6 got stiffer springs , rs or z24.

if you cant find a z24 or v6 rs, grab something with a 4 cyl, swap in a 3.1l, swap in the v6 springs and swaybars (this stuff is the same right through 85-94) and 92+ brakes. tell em its all stock. your not lying to them, it is all oem parts.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search