my car will actualy corner now - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
my car will actualy corner now
Monday, February 13, 2006 9:17 PM
i spent most of saturday installing all the suspention goodies ive been collecting for months now.

-kyb gr2 struts
-kyb gr2 shocks
-energy suspention poly controll arm bushings
-addco swaybars, 30mm front, 26mm rear
-polly swaybar bushings and links
-92+ brakes
-power slot rotors
-raybestos semi metalic pads
-goodridge g-stop stainless braided brake hoses
-sprint springs (been in the car for a couple years)

i got it aligned right away and then took it through some good twisty roads. the car rides a bit rough, but not as bad as most lowered cars ive been in. the car handles amazing. it is always flat and very responsive. it is a lot less understeer (common with fwd) than before. braking is also hugly improved, and the pedal is very firm due to the brake hoses.

now i know there is better stuff out there (ie caddy sts brakes, koni struts, ect) however i felt that for the money and my goals with the car, i picked the right stuff. i would highly recomend this package to anyone looking for a great handling street car without sacrificing ride quality too much

yes its very dirty, yes im missing my valance (had to come off to get on the alignment rack), and my 17s go back on once i get some more time.

Re: my car will actualy corner now
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 5:29 PM
Rock on

She looks good. I like the stance. Hopefully you can hang on in the twisties now

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 8:03 PM
Nice set up.I am hopefully going to do a full scale front suspension rebuild this spring/summer that is restoration.I did the rear last summer and literally rebuilt or restored my rear suspension.I am going all stock being I am keeping it stock.I plan on sandblasting and stuff and new undercoating new struts,mts,springs, etc.Once I replace both my front axles and input shaft seal that will be my next project.Going with monroe quick strut package which include strut,springs, and so forth for about 170.00 a piece.I will post my b4 and after pics once I do it.Glad ur enjoying ur ride and what a great feeling to put it into something u love.

Saturday, February 18, 2006 5:00 AM
Good stuff. I may be in touch at some point to get more details on those parts.

Looks good!

Friday, April 14, 2006 5:31 AM
hey, where did you get that valance, I would like one, but these 1st gen z's are getting hard to find, and I too am considering rebuilding my suspension real soon, where did you get your stuff? and how much? I'm kinda on a tight budget. I like the stance, I can just imagine what my hatch would looke like sittin' like that. how much of a drop did you go?
Friday, April 14, 2006 5:50 AM
then the GR2's go get some AGX's the difference will be even more incredible.

Your really shafting yourself by not getting adjustable shocks IMO. The GR2s are better than stock, but if you want a really nice confident ride the stiffening ability of the AGX's or Konis make for an incredible difference.

-Chris

Friday, April 14, 2006 7:09 AM
what size are those rims in that picture? and where can i get some? lovin it lowered

CHECK OUT MY DOMAIN!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2236703
Friday, April 14, 2006 9:32 AM
valance- i stumbled across it in a junkyard. ive had it for a couple years now. its actualy pretty beat up (was broken in both corners) i have another one off a friend cart that got written off.

as for the struts/shocks, they make agx's for the rear but not the front. the gr2 is the best drop in we have. i could have used koni's (3rd gen fronts can be done with modding) and i believe saab 900 rears will work. the biggest thing is i couldnt justify spending more than double the money to get konis

the wheels are stock 14s, those are my winter rims in my sig, those are 17s.

Friday, April 14, 2006 3:43 PM
uh I hate those damn 14's...lol I have the same ones. do you know what years are interchangeable as far as the front spring go? I thought we could only go up to 2nd gen cause everyone I know has a 3rd gen I was thinking about leaving alone, but I might lower the rear, and put some air shocks back there, I want the rear just a lil higher than the front. as far as the struts go, I already bought a set of monroe's, I just need a set of front springs. how low did you go? any rubbing issues?
Friday, April 14, 2006 4:53 PM
1st end 2nd gen suspention componects are completly interchangable. i used sprint springs for a 2nd gen. they are 1.75" drop, they settled to about 2". i have absolutly no rubbing issues.

as for your monroe struts, dont expect them to last more than a year with lowering springs. they arent designed to handle the shorter, stiffer springs.

Friday, April 14, 2006 9:33 PM
yeah, I just talked to someone who went through all that, and he told me the same thing. but oh well I'll just keep it stock for now, and save my money and do it right, since the whole set up is going to be kinda expensive, I can wait, and in the meantime I can work on other things, like weather stripping, interior, and other stupid stuff....lol.

I just noticed you have dual exhaust! what did ou have to go through to get that done, and how did you make that other cut out look like the factory one? did you use the exhaust off a sunfire GT? I thought about doing that, but the muffler shops around here tell me that they wont fit...I dont believe them

Saturday, April 15, 2006 12:28 AM
the other exaust cut out took some work. i made a templet from the other side, flipped it around to make the cutout on the other side, so it looks symetrical. once i find another z24 bumper a junkyard will let me cut up (most want to sell the entirte bumper) im gonna cut the peice out around the exaust and mould it into the bumper so i have the peice folded around, so it looks 100% stock.

as for the exaust, its all custom, from the headers back. when i put my built motor in, i made a set of headers for it, and the exaust is full dual front to back. i have a pair of 3 way vibrant mini cats (3 way to pass emmisions with no egr) and a pair of flowmaster 60 series mufflers, all 2" pipe.

Friday, April 21, 2006 7:11 AM
Ron Love wrote:Nice set up.I am hopefully going to do a full scale front suspension rebuild this spring/summer that is restoration.I did the rear last summer and literally rebuilt or restored my rear suspension.I am going all stock being I am keeping it stock.I plan on sandblasting and stuff and new undercoating new struts,mts,springs, etc.Once I replace both my front axles and input shaft seal that will be my next project.Going with monroe quick strut package which include strut,springs, and so forth for about 170.00 a piece.I will post my b4 and after pics once I do it.Glad ur enjoying ur ride and what a great feeling to put it into something u love.

why do u want to go all stock? u should atleast lower it or get some rims...but w.e u wana do

CHECK OUT MY DOMAIN!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2236703
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:06 AM
anyone have any idea how hard it it to fit 3rd gen coilovers on a 1st gen?

i know it would be a HUGE pain, but ive heard of it being done before. never seen pictures or a write up....but with what im planning for her, shell need it.

ANY ideas/leads would be helpful.

car looks great sharky!
where did you find the addoco rear sway?
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:10 PM
Young Z95 My intention is to keep my 85 as stock as possible even tho the stuff I will buy will be better than the oem stuff on it now.As it stands I have to wait on the suspension resto,due to a leaking rear whl cyl,I have the new cyldrs and just plan on buying all NEW rear drums,spring kits and shoes and do the rear brakes at this point.At least I have a new finished garage to do it now.I have not done much on the cav with my house add on just about finished literally as of today.I have been painting and so forth to get it done then focus on my car which $ would help too,which is thin.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search