whats the Diff - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
whats the Diff
Friday, January 20, 2006 9:36 PM
whats the difference is a sunbird gt with the turbo and a sunbird gt with out the turbo
cause I have a chance to buy one thats the gt non turbo for 250 with 107000 miles on it

Re: whats the Diff
Friday, January 20, 2006 10:49 PM
depends on the year. i thought all 87-90 gt cars had the 2.0l turbo in it. im not sure on pre 87. i know all gt cars 91+ had the 3.1l v6.

Monday, January 23, 2006 9:05 AM
sharkey wrote:depends on the year. i thought all 87-90 gt cars had the 2.0l turbo in it. im not sure on pre 87. i know all gt cars 91+ had the 3.1l v6.

The "Turbo" GT is an upgrade to the GT model. It is technically it's own model as such. You could also get the turbo engine in an SE form, so their are SE turbo cars running around too - even wagons!!

As far as what is different.. that depends on the year mainly. Let's say for instance you were comparing a GT and a Turbo GT in 87...

1. Engine is different. Non turbo would be a N/A 2.0 with TBI. Turbo is a 2.0 MPFI. Computer, injection system, manifolds, wiring, all SORTS of different things engine wise. The engine is also upgraded internally in a few ways.

2. Transmission is different. If you had an auto, the auto trans gear ratios and final drive differs between the two models. If it's 5 speed, the base model has a Isuzu MK7 slushbox. The Turbo model has the Getrag / Munice MG2 trans which is nearly bulletproof stock. The gear ratios between them are different.

3. Gauges are different to show boost etc.

There are other minor differences as well but that's the big one. Turbo model in 87 has like 65 more WHP and the engine is stronger.

But again this depends on what year you have but this is a general guide..

Friday, February 17, 2006 10:01 AM
well it is TBI so how hard would it be to switch it over to MPFI
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search