Stalling problem-??? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stalling problem-???
Friday, February 24, 2006 4:21 PM
Ok-I can't figure this one out.My '86 Cav RS ragtop(2.0 4cyl,auto) will stall out sometimes just after going around a corner(mostly when you turn to the left),then will start right back up.This only happens when the tank is less than half full,I think.I checked the fuel pressure,and it seems ok.Any ideas? Thanks!

Re: Stalling problem-???
Friday, February 24, 2006 9:50 PM
Ok this should be easy! It's either the TCC torque convertor clutch switch (being u have a automatic) is bad or the egr valve needs to be replaced or cleaned.IF u have not changed ur automatic trans fluid lately or it could be the switch has finally just bit the dust.Normally the tcc bites the dust do to a lack of mainten and the fluid fries the switch which normally stalling occurs when coming to a stop or putting it into another gear.U can simple disconnect this and if the problem cease to exist thats ur problem.Second if the egr is bad disconnect the vac line if it improves u need to clean the egr and make sure the pintal moves freely up and down and also if its really old u probably should replace it bc the diaphram inside of it is prob shot losing vac and therefore causing the issue.MY first choice is the tcc switch which is mounted on the transmission,I do not know exactly what it looks like or the specif of it exact location but,I know daryl has replaced his u know the blue j.So this should about complete my book .

Saturday, February 25, 2006 12:12 AM
deffinitly not a tcc solonoid problem. many people are quick to blame that, as its a common problem. however, it will only do that after going speeds of more than 60km/h (about 35mph) after its been in lockup, and doesnt explain why it only does it with less than half a tank of fuel.

Saturday, February 25, 2006 9:15 AM
TCC comes to my mind as well, but like Sharkey said it would most likely stall out at the end of a freeway run or at a dead stop, not after a stop.

it almost seems like a fuel delivery problem to me. Problems with the evap system, lines? Fuel pump or pickup screen bits floating around in the tank?

Also, if there's sediment in the tank it will only get picked up when you turn or accelerate quickly. I would drop the tank and have a radiator shop hot tank it to make sure there's no rust or scale in there. Sand or sugar or other fun stuff might be in the bottom of it, too.

While you're in there replace the fuel pump & lines just for insurance.

Saturday, February 25, 2006 4:41 PM
There is probably something messed up with your fuel tank that is letting gas slosh around too much when you corner. When you turn the gas wants to go to the opposite side, and there is usually something (like a plastic divider) in the tank to keep enough gas near the fuel pump pickup to prevent stalling. Your divider is has probably came loose and is floating in your tank now. If you don't want to fix it, just keep the car more than half full of gas.

You can't outrun the radio.
Sunday, February 26, 2006 2:43 PM
Thanks for the ideas-I've just found out that it will leak gas if the tank is topped off! So....I'm thinking it's a fuel supply problem.I'll be in the new house soon(the car sits outside now) so I'll pull the tank & check it out.I'm gonna have too much going on to hit the show car scene this summer,so it's gonna spend the summer in peices-it's had a worn rack & pinion scince I've owned it(6 years now),the flip trunk conversion I did last year doesn't work too well.....I've also never seen a 1st gen with Lambo doors......hmmm.......hehehe.........Later!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search