89-90 Gear Clashing Issue! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
89-90 Gear Clashing Issue!
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 9:41 AM
I have been working on my daily, 1990 3.1. I first thought the cause of gear clashing in all gears is the cause of worn seals in the Clutch master cylinder. Turned out not so. So I correctly bleed the system and realized the problem was still present. So I then read more into it and found that a TSB for the 90s is that the Pressure plate bolts work loose over time. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this concern and replaced and added lock washers.... This process is not going the be on the top ten list of items I like to do.....

Re: 89-90 Gear Clashing Issue!
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 8:20 PM
Uh ur car is a 2nd gen in case u did not know.U may want to get this moved to that forum.Good luck with the issue at hand regardless.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 4:33 AM
well compared to my second generation Z-24 its a first gen. Wite body grey ground affects that are much different than the second generation along with a while different interior setup.....

anyone have any advice on my problems dealing with gear clashing? I feel as if the problem is that the clutch just isnt disengaging.... Rev. first and second give me the most trouble, reverse being the one not wanting to shift into AT ALL! I lossed the plastic "button" that is connected to the end of the actuators push rod... thats only a quarter inch does that peice make much of a difference?
Thursday, May 04, 2006 6:41 PM
id deffinitly say its a clutch problem. could be your slave cyl, but hard to say. this could also be caused by a colapsed pressure plate

and while we are on the topic, your car is in fact a 2nd gen. here is the break up

1st gen- 82-87 sunbird and cavalier
- 82-88 skyhawk, cimmeron and firenza

2nd gen phase 1- 88-90
phase 2- 91-94

3rd gen- 95-05.

1st and 2nd gens are very simular. the suspention, brakes, motors, trannys, are all interchangable. what sets the generations apart is the shell itself. any 1st gen j-body sheetmetal is all interchangable with other cars. all 2nd gens, phase 1 and 2 are the same shell, just different sheetmetal. you could put all phase 2 sheetmetal and bumpers on a phase 1, itll all bolt in.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search