MAF? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MAF?
Friday, May 26, 2006 10:28 AM
Well, i was surprised to learn that the 87 Z24 Hatch i just brought home had an MAF... But, judging from its blue color, and the Conquest logo, i'd say it isn't stock... that, and it doesn't bolt to the bracket thats right next to it that it seems like the stock one should have bolted to. I was just wondering if anyone new what the deal with this was? I thought maybe it was kinda like a jet-chip performance type mod, or something. It doesn't really matter as this whole motor and engine management system are going out the door in a few weeks, but I was just curious if anyone had heard of this before?

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said

Re: MAF?
Friday, May 26, 2006 6:24 PM
v6 cars 85.5-88 had a maf, 89 they got rid of it. also in 87/88 there was a firmware update (the speed density software) to get rid of the maf and run on the map sensor. most cars have it, if it doesnt, im sure you could still have it done. most cars that ive seen that have this still have the maf sensor there, but it does nothing exept for one function. 85.5/86 cars have a seperate maf and iat sensors, 87/88 gm combined all this into one, making it a maf and iac. basicly, if you had the firmware upgrade, you could wire in an iat sensor and ditch the maf completly.

Friday, June 02, 2006 9:42 PM
since this thread already exists.....I have performed the speed density update on my 87, but when the car enters closed loop the check engine light comes on saying air temp too low, the iat sensor is wired up properly, not sure where to look next
Saturday, June 03, 2006 3:22 AM
Well me personally, the car is going megasquirt with a 3800 SC swap, so having an MAF isn't an issue, its just that this one appeared strange to me because it is obviously not an oem MAF.. and I would think that any aftermarket replacement would have the provision to use the mounting bracket the oem one used... this one doesn't use that... I tried googling the company name on the side but came up with nothing, was just wondering if anyone else had ever heard of Tomkat/Conquest MAF before.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search