1st Gen front Air Dams - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1st Gen front Air Dams
Thursday, May 25, 2006 5:27 PM
I see that some of you guys have what appears to be aftermarket front air dams on your 1st Gen j-cars. Are these still available as new products, or are they the kind of thing that you have to keep your eyes open for in the used market?

Who are the original manufacturers of these dams?

Any help is appreciated.

SteveM.

Re: 1st Gen front Air Dams
Thursday, May 25, 2006 5:43 PM
i think they're pretty much all custom at this point lol

Sorry.....
You have been banned from posting on this site as of 2005-01-13 10:15:53.
This ban will expire 2005-01-14 10:15:35 Pacific Time.
Reason: Free 84 Cavi Drop Top!

Thursday, May 25, 2006 6:52 PM
have a look at my sig. is that the one you mean??? that is a factory 87 z24 valance. they were an 87 only option, and most cars didnt come with them because they were rather low and got curbed up real bad. you cant buy these from gm, and there are no repro's or NOS stock left. basicly, ya gotta hunt them down. took me 1 solid year to find mine, and i spent a long time glassing it back together again. my 2nd (yes i have 2) is in a lot better shape, only having one split in it. i got that off a friends car when it got written off.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 7:12 PM
Sharkey:
Yes, that is the style of air dam I'm talking about. It's good to know that it's an '87 Z24 only part. At least there is an outside chance that I'll see one at one of the local "Pick-N-Pull" style junkyards. It sounds like I should buy one in any condition I can find if I really want one. Based on your description, I assume that it's a hard fiberglass valence? Does it screw on under the bumper cover? I think it would look awesome on my '86 RS wagon (also gray colored - the same as yours appears to be).

Sharkey, your car definitely has "The Look". Do you happen to know the width and offset of the wheels you are running in the pic above? I have read most of the 1st gen posts, and you seem to be one of the top guys as far as 1st gen knowledge.

I still have a lot to learn about 1st gen cavaliers. I just bought one (couldn't pass up the deal), and like most things that I become interested in, I've been reading the message board and trying to soak up as much info as possible.

Thanks again for the info.

SteveM.
Thursday, May 25, 2006 10:18 PM
any condition, grab it. its actualy a urethane peice, however mine was to bashed up to repair with a urethane kit, i needed to glass it. however its not going to fit on your 86rs bumper. the valance is designed only to fit the z24 bumper. the good news however is that the z24 bumper will fit right onto the wagon. basicly, you would build your car into a "z24 wagon" apearance wise with the following stuff
-front and rear bumpers
-side skirts (modded to fit the 4 doors, it is possible)
-87 z24 hood (the long dual cowls, 87 only)
-headlight bezels and grill
i think it would look sick to have a 1st gen z24 wagon. ive seen a couple 2nd gen wagons with a z24 treatment, but never a 1st gen.

my wheels are 17x7 with a 42mm offset. im running 205/40/r17 tires, but i plan to go a bit bigger next time (thinking 215/45/zr17) to fill the wheelwell a bit better. that pic was taken with blown struts, and sice then ive replaced them and the car sits about an inch higher.

Friday, May 26, 2006 5:29 AM

i was lucky i found one only 1 month after it was out of the paint shop. paid 200$ for it but it is in perfect shape no cracks all urethane,
i love the look it adds to are fornt end, so nice

Friday, May 26, 2006 6:32 AM
that DOES look really nice. good find!

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain
Friday, May 26, 2006 8:17 AM
Birdboy, your's is a real beauty also.

If I spot an '87 Z24 in the 'yard, I'll pluck everything I can from it. Is it just the bumper cover that needs to be changed, or does the impact absorbing part of the bumper (behind the skin) need to be changed also?

As I have said, I'm new to this... so please excuse me if I'm asking some very basic questions - Are the rear bumpers different between the coupes, hatchbacks, and wagons? Do all Z24's have the lower body cladding, with only the deep front valence being optional?

I agree, a Z24 style wagon would be cool. I'm currently running black steelies and white letter 195/70/13's, but will keep my eyes open for for some more substantial wheels and tires. I've got very little money invested in this car right now, so I can afford a few "junkyard" upgrades.

Thanks again.

SteveM.
Friday, May 26, 2006 1:01 PM
thanks
but wagon z24 1 gen has been done before and it's damw nice

Friday, May 26, 2006 1:31 PM
Hahahaha thats pimp...

Birdboy, i you need to load more pics of your red one onto your cardomain.

And I'll gladly offer good $$ to anyone with the Z24 valance in good or easily repairable condition... just picked up my 87 yesterday but it didn't have this option...

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, May 26, 2006 1:39 PM
scarab my red is from mazda 2004 rx8 , it's called velocity red metalic , the mazda 3 red is the same

has for the valance if i find one in good shape or not i will let you know

Friday, May 26, 2006 1:47 PM
here is the cardomain for the z24
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1871683

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search