Changed coolant, overheating??? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Changed coolant, overheating???
Wednesday, June 28, 2006 12:21 PM
I just changed my coolant last week, we went for a drive and it over heated. So I assumed that maybe we didn't 'burp' the systems. So we filled it back up and burped the system but then it started GUSHING out literally!!! Not spilling over ... it was GUSHING... like a Fountain!!!

I have never seen this problem before but the damn thing overheats like a mad man now. Any thoughts as to what my issue is???

Re: Changed coolant, overheating???
Wednesday, June 28, 2006 9:46 PM
Not to sound hard azz ,but why did u not replace the freaking THERMOSTAT! U should replace that in addition to the coolant temp switch and the dummy light switch since they are at the thermo housing and only cost like 9 bux a piece assuming u do not have a coolant gauge.I would go ahead replace the hoses if there not to old,less that 4yrs old is ok in age on the upper and lower hose.Next when u drain the coolant and refill leave the resevoir cap off and the rad cap off while the car is running to alloy all the air to escape since the rad cap is about level with the resev cap which air rises to the highest point.Use cardboard to block the rad to cause the temps to go up and do NOT rev the eng let it idle for 15-20 min and as long as u do not have a bad heater core or blockage this will resolve the prob.Now granted the hoses may not be needed but follow the drain refill with both caps off and off course a new therm and use the card board as I stated for the time and u should no longer have that problem with what u described.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 3:14 PM
You have air in the system no doubt, didnt overheat b4 the coolant flush, it shouldnt now, why would he go through the hassle of changing the thermo?
Wednesday, July 12, 2006 10:11 PM
Not to dispute with u here but,if he changes his hoses upper/lower due to age it is a GOOD idea to go ahead and replace the thermostat while the coolant is drained and save the hassle later down the road if the car was to have a overheat problem.I am very mechanically inclined and believe firmly in do PREvenitive maintenance like this to ensure it does not occur while ur out on a trip or just kickn around and be screwed some where on the side of the road.Hoses and belts SHOULD be replaced every 4 yrs regardless of low miles or wear bc they tend to die when temps get really hot or cold and it's a recommended thing by MOST hose and belt manuf.Just good ideas to keep ur car from being one of those on the side of the road with the hood up bc of something like the above.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search