Body work - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Body work
Monday, July 03, 2006 6:56 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that I ordered parts from JC Whitney today. I was shocked to find out that the rust repair panels are being sold for the rocker panels on 1986 Chevrolet Cavaliers. According to the woman on the phone they come preshaped and ready to install. I will be putting pictures of my car without the rocker panels on it up in a day or two. I also bought replacement inner rocker poanels for the rear of the car because those are the ones that are rusted out and need replacing. What was the name of the stuff that was put on rusted metal parts, it was applied with a brush. I can't remember the name. The inner rocker panels on the middle and front of the car were mfine. I am just taking the rust off of them and applying some of the rust convertor and primer. Then I will put the new inner rocker panels on the back of the left and right side and throw on the rocker panels. A MIG welder will definitely come in handy there. It is starting to come together though and I just wanted to thank everyone for all the advice that you guys gave me. I will post pictures soon, until then if you could get me the name of the rust chemical or applicant that would be great. Thanks again. Also does anyone know where to get a transmission cooler for a 1986 cavalier or a transaxle line because I looked under the car today and it was dripping transmission fluid. It didn't say anything about it in chilton's or hayne's so I wanted to ask you guys because I am stumped as to whether or not it has a transmission cooler or if a line just broke. Thanks again.

Re: Body work
Tuesday, July 04, 2006 3:26 PM
Edward-

Good to hear you were able to get the repair panels! JC whitney isn't a bad place to buy parts from.

The paint you're talking about to use on rusty parts is POR-15. You can get it direct at www.por15.com.

As for your question of a transmission cooler, I can only speak for the 4cyl cars. To my knowledge the only trans cooler they used was the one built into the radiator. There are two rubber lines that run from the transmission case on the driver's side front and then connect to the transmission cooler in side of the radiator. Over time, these rubber hoses usually leak after years of engine movement and rubber degradation and the result is a nasty greasy mess under the entire engine cradle and undercarriage. I had the same problem with my 86 years ago and went to the dealer to buy new hoses and was told they "made their own" if they went bad since GM didn't make a replacement part for them.

I fixed mine by picking up some 3/8 trans cooler hose at NAPA (I think that was the size), and replacing the original rubber hoses. I pulled both metal lines off so I could remove the old rubber hoses and then secured the new hose with 2 hose clamps on each end. I've been running with those for 4 -5 years now and its bone dry underneath. No more messy garage floor!

Good luck with your refurbish job and post pics if you can!

-D

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search