My new ride - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My new ride
Thursday, July 13, 2006 8:10 PM
well, she aint the nicest looking car, but it has no rust and is fairly straight. its a 2.0L RS auto. the motor smokes (a lot), it needs brakes badly, the steering rack is toast, the tranny slips and the tires are bald. it was pretty much what i was looking for (i wanted a hatch, but beggers cant be choosers).

weather permitting, the motor, tranny and suspention is all comming out this weekend. im hoping within a couple weeks ill have my v6 and 5 speed from my old car in it, aswell as the z24 steering rack, my kyb struts and sprint springs, poly pushings and addco swaybars. i also gotta change the fuel pump and get the dash from the old car in, as the wiring between the 4cyl dumby light cluster and v6 cluster is different.

Re: My new ride
Thursday, July 13, 2006 9:17 PM
The car has true potential and with all the extras u have will breathe new life into that first gen cavy.Glad u at least found a coupe that is fairly straight and basically ur gonna make it something special.Congrats on ur up and coming kick azz cav!!!!!

Friday, July 14, 2006 9:13 PM
Congrats on getting another first gen! Looks like you're all set to start the transformation all over again.
From the pics it looks like the body is clean and straight. Good find.

Best of luck with her

Saturday, July 15, 2006 2:56 AM
the sharkmobile will be reborn! woot!

you got any better pictures of the 2nd gen with the 1st gen front end?

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, July 15, 2006 9:36 AM
i dont, ill try to find some. he may have posted some in the 2g forum. thats justins car (sinbird aka abby87z24), the bagged 89 turbo bird vert with phase 2 dash swap.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 11:07 AM
glad to see we found u a donor car steve... now git your ass over here let's build mine and then get urs rolling!

1st 1st gen on air.....
Monday, July 17, 2006 12:17 AM
a small update. the old 2.0l automatic is already out of the car, steering rack has been swapped out, aswell as the old sturts and brakes have been pulled and been replaced with kyb gr2 stuts with sprint springs, 92+ brakes with slotted rotors and semi metalic pads. the subframes and controll arms got painted , aswell as urethane control arm bushings. the engine bay is all cleaned up and some paint touch up around the battery tray. the dash has also been pulled and started setting the clutch pedal up.

thats all the pics i have gotten, ill be getting some more as work progresses. im hoping to have the z24 dash in eary this week after the pedals are in, and am hoping to have the engine bay all ready for the v6 by the end of the week, including swapping the fuel pump. i know im gonna end up waiting to get the time at work to get my 5 speed rebuilt, and that will likley be my biggest holdup.

stay tuned

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:59 AM
Hell Yes i have been whatin for the rebirth of sharkey. Sweet deal gett her done shel be a bute .

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 6:40 AM
updates / updates common bring them on... i cant wait anymore

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 5:50 PM
not a lot has happened in the last couple days. i got the pedals all in and am doing some pre-wiring while the dash is out. im going to get the wiring done and get the dash back in tonight. the engine bay is ready for the motor/tranny to go in, but im still waiting on the trans.

Sunday, July 23, 2006 3:44 PM
some more things done. the motor is all cleaned up and the oilpan changed (thanks to the tow truck that punched the pan in the old car). headers are coated, and the engine bay is all swapped over ready for the v6. the dash is back in, new heater core, and i also ran all the wiring through the firewall for the stereo, alarm, gauges, ect. i will have the transmission finnished tomorow, and am hoping to bolt them together and drop it all in tomorow night. after the motor is in, just gotta hook up the wiring, install the exaust and change the fuel pump, and itll be ready to roll. hoping to have it done by next weekend.

Monday, July 24, 2006 4:31 PM
Keep them a comin i can not wait to see the finished product of all the labor. this car has probley seen that much love since it first drove off the lot.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 2:17 AM
[X] e-mail me replies to this thread

Cardomain|Myspace

Friday, July 28, 2006 9:40 PM
big update, ITS ALIVE!!!!!! been real busy this past week. tonight i finnished the rear brakes and suspention, got the exaust on, finnished the all the little stuff and it fired right up. i have a couple issues i gotta adress. i have a rather large exuast leak, but that shouldnt be a big issue. my brakes need bleeding again, i need a rad hold in bracket for the v6 rad, a carbon canister, and i gotta find a power steering pump pulley (it must have hit the blower fan harder than i thought). a trip to the wreckers should fix all that. hoping to have it on the road monday,

Friday, July 28, 2006 11:23 PM
congrats man, call me if u need me 2 go 2 the wreckers n pick anythin up for ya!

1st 1st gen on air.....
Sunday, July 30, 2006 11:23 PM
car is now on the road. finnished off the little things today and got the temps on it. i forgot how well the old car handled and stopped, and how mush fun it is pulling out of the corners. so here ois the modlist to this point

-built 2.8l v6 swap (not listing the motor mods, that can take pages)
-custom headers and dual exaust
-rebuilt getrag 282, swapped from auto.
-black dash swapped in with digital cluster
-kyb struts and shocks
-sprint springs
-energy suspention controll arm bushings
-addco swaybars and urethane links and bushings
-92+ brakes
-slotted rotors and semi metalic pads
-g-stop stainless brake lines
-z24 steering rack
-motegi dp6 17x7 wheels with yokohama H4S tires, 205/40r17

Monday, July 31, 2006 1:38 AM
Schweet, and i think i was the 1st person to hump it as well!!!!!!!!! it's lookin sharp man, we'll havta go 2morrow n get some better pics!

1st 1st gen on air.....
Monday, July 31, 2006 8:07 PM
awesome!

Nice to see you are back at it!

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 8:36 AM
nice , can't wait for the full finish product

Thursday, August 03, 2006 11:15 AM
are there any performance gains using that fiero upper/lower intake manifold?

Thursday, August 03, 2006 6:33 PM
for me, yes. 85-86 used the ironhead gen 1 2.8l. the upper intake was a horrible design. i went with it when i did my engine for several reasons. it realy made my intake pipe shorter and gave me more room, it does flow more air, and it does look better. it still isnt the most ideal intake, it does start to become a restriction at around 5200rpm.

as for putting it on anything newer than 86, it wont work. it will not bolt on to an aluminum head engine, and besides, they have a better intake anyways.

Friday, August 04, 2006 2:00 PM
what happened to your old car in the sig? that was a sweet ride, whats the V6 pull like in the 1st gen? is it fast? and the last question does the 1st gens have speed governors?

CHECK OUT MY DOMAIN!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2236703
Saturday, August 05, 2006 1:06 AM
old car was written off, a drunk driver turned in front of me and i t-boned them. the v6 pulls not bad, simular to a stock 2nd gen. i beleive 1st gens have govoners, but i couldnt tell you, never had the old car up that fast

Sunday, August 06, 2006 8:38 AM
oh ok thanks, i wana get one, i like the Z24 lip you used to have, get another one what color you going to paint this one?

CHECK OUT MY DOMAIN!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2236703
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search