Radio - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Radio
Thursday, August 24, 2006 7:00 PM
Anybody know why a radio would get the same reception with the antenna mast both off and on? The radio has just been reconditioned (the cassette player anyways). It was like this before, but spending more time in car and starting to irritate me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Radio
Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:02 PM
Not sure what u mean?Do you mean lthe reception is better or worse with the car running and its worse with it off.The best thing u can do based on what u said is to either replace the cable going from the head unit and antenna itself and I would highly recommend rewiring ur speakers with a better gauge wire as I have with my 85 it's all new spkr wiring frt and rear.U would be suprised at the sound quality and while I do have a aftermarket Panasonic head I am still using the oem antenna cable and steel antenna with no issues.Sometimes a old coil or spark plug wires causes the static or whirring noise in the stereo while its on and does interfere with the stereo.I hope this helps u out and let me know if I can assist if the above does not answer ur ?.

Friday, August 25, 2006 8:06 AM
Ron-

To clarify: reception is same with car on or off. Speakers have already been rewired. I did have issues with electrical interference, but that was due to failing battery cable wires.

I will try replacing the antenna - I am sure it will be a pita - I may just get a cheap small one and bury it in the dash...

Thanks for the reply.

Friday, August 25, 2006 10:28 AM
Yeah, could be a bad connection at the antenna mast.

You can get a 'secret antenna' from your local car audio place. have the fender hole smoothed out for a cleaner look.

Friday, August 25, 2006 4:44 PM

That was stupid easy.

I ended up buying a cheap rubber antenna and put in in the dash under the glove box.

Problem Solved!

Thanks JBO!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search