another big project - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
another big project
Saturday, October 21, 2006 2:03 PM
finnaly got it in the mail.

unassembled Megasquirt 2 ecu, relay board, stim, and wiring bundle.

Re: another big project
Saturday, October 21, 2006 6:07 PM
Is this something you're looking to play with? Just because, or ???

I still haven't found a reason to use a MS so I'm just curious.

-->Slow
Saturday, October 21, 2006 6:34 PM
the ecm in my car (7302) is an oddbal. it uses a 24 pin rom chip, and there are no programs or burners out there that support it. the only way to burn chips for it is to convert to a 28 pin eprom, and i think thats more work than building the megasquirt. the other option would be to swap in a 7730 and tune that, but again, a ton of work and complicated programs for tuning.

i deffinitly need to do some tuning. my motor (for those that dont know, built up ironhead 2.8l) runs rather lean at high rpm (it starts lean popping in cold weather above 5k), it idles to rich, and i cant rev passed 6k, and i built the motor to run to 7k. the megasquirt is my best choice. its cost effective and realy a great unit, and itll get the job done.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 10:19 PM
well, after about 45 minutes of work, my relay board is 95% complete

Sunday, October 22, 2006 11:23 AM
it's hideous
jks man lookin good as always!

1st 1st gen on air.....
Sunday, October 22, 2006 11:55 AM
Quote:

swap in a 7730 and tune that, but again, a ton of work and complicated programs for tuning.

And here I sit replacing a single injector powered 4.3 with a 5.0 which has sequentially driven injectors now wired in parallel, hunting through piles of tuning variables for the digital EGR settings, the knock sensor code parameters, copying VE tables, looking for the correct pin to short on the memcal to enable "port fuel mode." Maybe it is more work. It never seems like it while I'm doing it.

IME when swapping ECU's and doing initial tuning it's sometimes easier to build an adapter harness to run from OEM wiring to replacement controller. That allows you to do the wiring swap on the bench or in the house, and it also allows you to swap between controllers in the early stages so you can still drive the vehicle if the tune doesn't want to come around.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the project.
-->Slow
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 10:46 PM
i myself am not much of an electronics wiz, and i like simplicity. ive played with some tuning programs for stock ecms, and i find its all to complex, especialy when wanting to make a quick change.

i thought about making an adaptor harness, however i gotta change so much wiring around that its a lot of work to swap from one to the next. i do already have a base tune thats close to stock, so realy the motor shouldnt run any different than it does now with a stock ecm.

ive been doing a lot of work on it, im now very close to finnished building it. ive had a few issues, but everything worked itself out. i now have the ecm running on the stim and everything seems to be responding like it should. i basicly have to double check all my work, solder on 3 leds and put it in the case.

Thursday, October 26, 2006 11:09 AM
way to go steve... now come help me figure out bastard turbo from hell setup

1st 1st gen on air.....
Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:53 PM
Sharkey, good luck with the MS. I'll be buying one soon myself for the Cav.
Have you heard of anyone with a decent DIS ignition map for those of us that don't have a distibutor?

Franz
1990 white Z24
14.72 @ 92.24 MPH on NA 3.1L

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 8:12 PM
i have a tuning file from a guy with a fiero with a 3400 turbo, and i also have his stock 2.8l distributor tune. he said he didnt change much between the dis and distributor tune.

for my base tune, i used his 2.8l tune and just followed the tuning guide, its not realy that hard to come up with the bases.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 11:31 PM
and to think we were complaining about how we had no major projects this winter.... you sir jinxed it on me!

1st 1st gen on air.....

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 6:02 AM
Thanks Sharkey,
I was thinking the same about it not being too hard to tune. I've read the whole MS manual already, and overall it looks reasonably easy considering.
Good luck man!

Franz
1990 white Z24

Sunday, November 12, 2006 12:02 AM
well, no new pics, but after 2 days of work, its in the car and the car is running. after a few glitches, both electricaly and tuning wise, the car is driving and i managed to go for a bit of driving tonight. my tune up is very rough still, but its getting better. huge thanks to brad for all the help getting it in and tuning

ill have pics of the install tomorow

Sunday, November 12, 2006 9:06 AM
Excellent! Congrats!

Franz
1990 white Z24

Sunday, November 12, 2006 3:44 PM
ok as promised

all my wiring mess from the stock ecm, and the relay board

the factory relay and power center is now gone, and the intake is off for swapping the injectors

this is the end result for now. its hard to see, but the innovate wideband controller is mounted on the wiper motor

i plan to make a sheild for the relay board to keep moisture away, although people report no problems even soaked in water. i will be cleaning the wiring harness up and removing all the unused wiring, as the megasquirt only uses about 20 wires compared to about 50 on the stock ecm.

tuning is comming along. the car starts and idles nice (i lost my nice lope i used to have), and seem to have smoothed out the powerband a lot. i already notice i have a lot more power under 3k, and i dont have a big burst of power at 32oorpm like i did before. it pulls very nice all the way over 6k rpm, but im already finding my 19lb ford injectors are running at 98%.

Sunday, November 12, 2006 6:59 PM
Very nice! I cant wait to get started at my first gen again...but i will be sticking with the multi port and the 01227730 lol!

My cardomain site
doublez@eastlink.ca
Sunday, November 12, 2006 9:35 PM
my motor is a multiport, its just a gen 1 mpfi motor.

Monday, November 13, 2006 7:30 PM
like i said earlier Looks good! might jus havta resort to running a MS in the spring...

1st 1st gen on air.....
Friday, January 26, 2007 1:23 PM
any updates ? body, engine ??? pics

Friday, January 26, 2007 1:28 PM
is this your plan ?

Friday, January 26, 2007 6:14 PM
no thats not the plan. i have a few tricks up my sleeve for this year, just depends if i get around to any of them.

havent done much with the car since the ms install. its winter and i have no shop at the moment. once it gets nicer out ill be putting the z kit on and itll be getting painted.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search