Rear axle removal - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear axle removal
Friday, January 26, 2007 7:31 PM
I am trying to remove the rear axle for a 89 pontiac sunbird. I removed all the shocks bolts and one of the hub attaching bolts. For the right side I removed the nut but the bolt just refuses to come out. I hammered the dailight out of it but it just won't come out. I dont want use the sledge hammer at full force because it might bend the brackets. Any ideeas on how to remove it?

Re: Rear axle removal
Friday, January 26, 2007 8:12 PM
I use some liquid wrench or bp blaster spray all around the bolt and let it sit for a while.Second u can use a hand held propane torch the bottle type and heat the bolt u would be suprised how easy the bolt will come loose.Probably what has happened is rust has set in on the bolt in the center and it's froze in place.Steer clear of the sledge u prolly would end up bending it.That is the best route to release a frozen bolt or nut thats been on for yrs or rusted like a biatch.I have used this technique and had no issues.And the propane torches if u do not have one are sold at most auto stores or lowes etc for about 20bux or so.I hv two bottles with all access and such and its done wonders for me with just such problems.

Friday, January 26, 2007 8:59 PM
Thx for the info. I forgot to specify that the bolt does turn. It does not turn easily but it will turn with a wrech. I used oxy-acetylene on the damn thing. Is the bolt cylindrical? Worse case scenario tomorrow I will chop my hole axle. I will probably cut the damn hub in half. Still I would apreciate a less drastic solution
Sunday, January 28, 2007 8:31 AM
I got it out. Best way to get it out, if it is stuck, is by cutting around the hub with a reciprocating saw. Damn somites I wish cars were put together with zippers and velcro.

On the side, does anyone know the difference between a 89 rear axle and a post 91 axle? Will it fit on my sunbird?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search