Engines - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engines
Monday, February 12, 2007 3:49 PM
Hey guys as a long term project i would like to know if a 3.4L DOHC engine from a 1992-1995 Grand Prix would fit into the engine bay and bolt in to a 1986 Chevrolet Cavalier. There is a rare chance that I would do a conversion this large, but I would like to know if the conversion is possible on a 1st generation j-body cavalier. I know that a lot of people on this site have way more information about the cavalier than i would even begin to kknow and would like your input. Thank you for your time. For the long term I am thinking of building up the 2.0L OHV engine I got from a junkyard as a spare for $150 including the three speed auto trans. I am definitely keeping my eye out for one of the turbo 3.1L engines. It i s coming along well for where it is now in the product stage though. I am soon to update the suspension to a full eibach set up and full kyb gr-2 nshocks nand struts. Thanks again guys.

Re: Engines
Monday, February 12, 2007 6:17 PM
the 3.4l tdc is next to impossible to get it. you need to move the motor forward, the rad must go forward along with the rad support. exaust is a huge challenge, as the rear manifold points right into the steering rack. there are numorous other challenges to overcome.

the 3.1l turbo doable, however the 3.1l turbo motor doesnt use anything real out of the ordinary. internal, it uses mahle pistons and a different cam (iirc). other than that, its basicly a 3.1l. to drop it in you need to build your own charge pipes, exaust crossover, so it basicly comes sown to get a 3.1l and turbo it. to make the same power, the stock non turbo 3.1l will hold fine.

another option is a 3400 swap. it will give you a honest 180hp n/a and will bolt in place of a 2.8/3.1l. you would need to change your wiring harness to an 89 2.8l (87+ is dis, but 87-88 used a mass air flow meter instead of the map sensor as they went to in 89). the motors are very friendly to boost (one guy did a remote mount turbo on a stock 3400 and ran 12.5s). and very relaible.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search