88 sunbird turbo - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
88 sunbird turbo
Friday, February 02, 2007 1:40 PM
what can be done to get say 225 hp out of one of theses cars besides bigger turbo.cause I found one with less than 50K on the car
it just needs a head gasket I can get the car for 500 buck.

Re: 88 sunbird turbo
Friday, February 02, 2007 5:59 PM
Low restriction exhaust, high flow air intake, intercooler, turn up the boost. I made about 210 hp with these mods at 15 lbs of boost. Amazingly simple.

Tony

Tony
1987 Sunbird GT turbo convert
Ported intake, Fiero 53 MM TB, 52 lb inj, ported and flowed head, tube header, Mitsu TD06, ARP rod
bolts/head studs, adj cam sprocket, 4" x 12" x 31" FMIC, Paxton AFPR, modified 125 trans/LSD
unit/3.42's, custom chip tuning, Alky Control Methanol injection
13.61 ET at 101.44 mph, 262 WHP/350WTQ

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP roadster, 2.0 turbo w/GMPP exh, CAI and turbo upgrade, 290 hp/325 ft lbs

1969 Olds 442 convert
400 Eng, 200-4R trans, 3.73 posi, power everything, OAI

Friday, February 02, 2007 8:31 PM
^^^ what he said. although don't turn up boost too high as you could destroy your bottom end. and add an intercooler if u gonna turn up the boost

People say that what doesn't kill you in this life
will make you stronger. I'm not sure if that is true
or not, but i do know one thing-You have to learn from
it and it has to make you better.......it has to.......

Friday, February 02, 2007 9:58 PM
whats the max boost for the T25
Im planing on the intercooler and exhaust and how can I turn the boost up the wastegateisnt adjustable
Saturday, February 03, 2007 9:01 AM
Get an adjustanble one... id also say what they say for stuff to do, but i might add, when you put the new exhaust on, leave off the cat, not much more power

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Saturday, February 03, 2007 1:25 PM
how hard is it to put a boost controller on this car
Saturday, February 03, 2007 5:07 PM
AARON-max boost for the t25 is 16 (i think) psi like i said above, you'll need an intercooler

People say that what doesn't kill you in this life
will make you stronger. I'm not sure if that is true
or not, but i do know one thing-You have to learn from
it and it has to make you better.......it has to.......

Saturday, February 03, 2007 7:43 PM
Like I said Im planing the intercooler I just wanted to know how hard it was to put a boost controller on this car
Im also going 2 1/2" exhuast and Im going to get an adjustable wastegate all I wanted to know this time was about the boost controller
Tuesday, February 06, 2007 3:31 PM
just found out its an 88 grand am turbo
any forums for that car
Tuesday, February 06, 2007 8:58 PM
well, the grand am turbo is the same 2.0l turbo motor, and realy the grand ams are closly related to a j-body.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 9:35 PM
I spoke with a gentleman today who says he can burn a chip for our turbo'd GT's.

Friday, February 16, 2007 12:35 PM
I burned a chip for my Turbo GT. Several others here have done the same.. it's not particularly difficult.

As far as getting more power... dump some awesomesauce in the boost juice tank.

This is mine at 11 PSI with the mods listed in my profile. Setup this exact way it ran 14.1 @ 97 mph with a 2.1 60'

Monday, February 26, 2007 11:13 PM
Noyce! That's "nice" with an Aussie accent. So what brand of wastegate controller did you use? Can you tell me about head studs? Thanks.
Thursday, March 01, 2007 6:06 PM
Whats a good level of PSI to run on a sunbird turbo? and what turbo would you guys recomend? i was thinking garrett t3/t4, but some said go bigger, that the t3/t4s were pretty much crap.. what do you think i should go turbo wise? thanks

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Monday, March 05, 2007 11:07 AM
Don I'm running a crappy grainger style controller from http://www.dawesdevices.com his newer ones are better.
the 2.0 OHC doesn't use head studs. It uses head bolts. I always just use standard replacement ones, never had an issue.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 8:08 PM
got it and had to put a turbo on it. but the guy I bought it off of gave me the turbo.I want to put my t3/t4 on it can anyone tell me where I can get a manifold for a t3/t4 turbo to work on this car or do I hsve to have one made. Im going tomorrow to get the piping ran for my intercooler cant wait
Wednesday, March 14, 2007 1:49 PM
i have a manifold, it's the stock manifold with a t3 flange welded onto it, has a hole in #1 runner for a EGT probe as well....... gimme 80usd shipped.

watch for flying sparks!!!
Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:37 PM
is the flang in the same place the stock flang was or is it angled up more than stock? cause if its in the stock location it wont work with my other turbo
got any pics of it
Tuesday, March 20, 2007 5:18 PM
what is the black box on the back of the intake and what does it do
Wednesday, March 21, 2007 9:33 AM
Aaron Cockerham wrote:what is the black box on the back of the intake and what does it do

I don't know which part you are referring too, so either take a picture or look thru one of my galleries like this one: http://www.protonus.ws/gallery/v/thecar/Engine/2ltswap/
and find a pic with it in it.

PS: You should make an attempt to use some punctuation and capitalization in your posts. If makes you come across as more intelligent online, then you're MUCH more likely to get in depth answers and help when people think you are capable of doing something useful with the knowledge they take the time to share. It's an unwritten law of the internet and forums, and I often completely ignore posts from people that sound like dolts, and I know a LOT of other people here that are technically savvy do too.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 7:09 PM
It's the black box with vaccum lines coming off it.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 10:23 AM
EGR.

watch for flying sparks!!!
Friday, March 23, 2007 4:06 AM
Well if that's all it is, I'm going to remove all the EGR related things.
Sunday, March 25, 2007 9:16 AM
I pulled 4 codes from my computer and was wondering if someone could tell me what they were and how to fix them
1st code is a 15
2nd code is a 33
3rd code is a 43
and 4th code it a 53
Sunday, March 25, 2007 3:54 PM
15- Coolent Sensor Circuit (low temperature indicated) - Check all wiring and connectors associated with the sensor, replace the coolent sensor, also check the thermostat for proper operation
33- Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor or circuit - Check vacuum hose(s) from MAP sensor. Check electrical connections at the ECM. Replace MAP sensor
43- Electronic Spark Control (ECS) circuit or Knock sensor (KS) circuit - Check wiring and connectors form the knock sensor to the ESC controller or ECM for an open or short to ground; if necessary, reroute the harness away from other wires suck as spark plugs, etc. Replace the knock sensor
53- System over voltage - Code 53 will set if the voltage at the ECM is greater than 17.1 volts or less than 10 volts. Check the charging system

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search