Clutch Replacement - Engine Support - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clutch Replacement - Engine Support
Sunday, June 03, 2007 4:49 PM
Hi Board-

When you guys do your clutches, what do you use to support the engine? I really don't have the room for a cherry picker and wanted to use the brace that is shown in the service manual. I asked at a couple places and they don't seem to rent them.

Any thoughts? I see 4x4 and seat belt contraptions at the u-pick it, but was looking for something a little cleaner. I guess I could use a 4x4 and a couple of ratcheting tie downs...

Any ideas?

Re: Clutch Replacement - Engine Support
Sunday, June 03, 2007 8:19 PM
all i do is put a jackstand with a peice of wood (so you dont dent the pan) under the oil pan to hold it up. i use a floor jack under the tranny and undo the tranny mount, then let the jack down till the motor rests on the stand. you will want to let the tranny come down a bit before the motor sits on the jackstand as you need some clearance between the top of the tranny and the frame. a better idea is if you have 2 jacks, use a jack under the motor aswell.

Saturday, June 09, 2007 7:52 PM
That's what I did when I had my clutch done by me ,on my p/u used a floor jack and wood to support the motor,and drop the tranny.Worked fine since the trans was so light I used my trans jack to hold the tranny until it was in place.Never done the fwd stuff but guess it is the same to a degree.

Monday, June 11, 2007 5:58 PM
Thx - this is on deck for the next couple of weekends.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search