4T60 transmission swap? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
4T60 transmission swap?
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:58 PM
Has anyone ever swapped the 3-speed auto for a 4T60 (not the 4T60E!) in a 1st gen J-car?

At $3.11 a gallon, 25MPG (best I've got so far) in my 1986 Cimarron with 2.8 V6 is still chewing the wallet rather badly. My main concerns on the swap are if the existing driveshafts will work and whether or not the electronic speedometer sender will fit the 4-speed.

My folks had a 1994 Oldsmobile Achieva with SOHC 4 cylinder and 4-speed auto (dunno if it was 4T60E or not) and that car got up to 40MPG on a trip from Weiser, ID to Las Vegas and back. Bigger car, smaller engine, though I wouldn't expect my Cimarron to get 40MPG! Even 30MPG would be quite nice.

"What is it about pyromania and civil insurrection?" she wondered. "Can't anyone stage a riot without bringing the matches?" Major Serafina Palacios, Imperial Marines

Re: 4T60 transmission swap?
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:09 PM
all fwd 4 speeds 92+ were the 4t60e, later on the 4t40e was brought in.

a 4t60 (or 440t4) will fit into a j-body. i have never done the swap, but what i do know is that your existing top transmission mount bracket will work. you will need to change the shifter and cable. axles are an iffy thing, however i beleive axles from a 3100 beretta auto would work. the 4t60 did have an electronic speedo on some years, it may work for you.

if your looking for fuel economy, why not swap a 5 speed in??? everything would be a bolt in from a cavalier (up to 90).

Re: 4T60 transmission swap?
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:41 PM
Nah, I don't like stickshifts.

"What is it about pyromania and civil insurrection?" she wondered. "Can't anyone stage a riot without bringing the matches?" Major Serafina Palacios, Imperial Marines
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search