Speed Mods - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Speed Mods
Tuesday, July 24, 2007 2:44 PM
Hi-

I am putting a Buick GN Intercooler on the Sunbird. I started off the project by dropping off the intercooler to have the end tanks sealed and cleaned up. I am gonna try and run this intercooler setup while leaving the AC intact. This is tough deal on these cars so I will keep you guys and gals updated.

Fabbing the following:

1 - Intercooler / necks / intercooler plumbing
2 - Airbox plumbing - it is plastic on the 1.8s, right up to the turbo!
3 - Custom 2.5" cat back

Pictures to come...

Re: Speed Mods
Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:04 AM
i did performance mods to my 2.0 as well, i swapped it out:p

watch for flying sparks!!!
Wednesday, July 25, 2007 11:35 AM
I thought about replacing the engine, but the fact that it has about 10K mileage on a fresh rebuild changed my mind. It looks very stock now, I want to keep that sleeper look. The only giveaways are the engine callouts and the pontiac turbo emblem, and maybe the vented hood

This is one of two project cars I have... The goal is to put this one in the 13s. Then the other car into the 11s.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 1:38 PM
Tony (2literturbo) is also using a GN cooler. I'm using a smaller Saab unit stashed under the hood latch. Except for a pipe near the bottom of the radiator, it's hard to tell the cooler's in there.

-->Slow
Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:48 AM
Stealth is exactly what I am looking for. I have the 3" air dam around the bottom front of mine, If I do it right it should be totally hidden.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 6:37 PM
The GN intercooler is on a shelf in my basement. I went a to a mondo huge ebay special a few years ago that required removing the condenser

I was pretty happy with the GN one and I think you'll be too if you can get it in.

Tony

Tony
1987 Sunbird GT turbo convert
Ported intake, Fiero 53 MM TB, 52 lb inj, ported and flowed head, tube header, Mitsu TD06, ARP rod
bolts/head studs, adj cam sprocket, 4" x 12" x 31" FMIC, Paxton AFPR, modified 125 trans/LSD
unit/3.42's, custom chip tuning, Alky Control Methanol injection
13.61 ET at 101.44 mph, 262 WHP/350WTQ

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP roadster, 2.0 turbo w/GMPP exh, CAI and turbo upgrade, 290 hp/325 ft lbs

1969 Olds 442 convert
400 Eng, 200-4R trans, 3.73 posi, power everything, OAI

Friday, July 27, 2007 4:24 AM
Quote:

The GN intercooler is on a shelf in my basement. I went a to a mondo huge ebay special a few years ago that required removing the condenser

Argh. Continuous CO exposure is killing more of my brain cells every day. At least I can look forward to being stupidly happy some day.

I'll try to take pictures of my Saab cooler tonight.

-->Slow
Sunday, July 29, 2007 6:30 PM
Saab cooler stealth install:

It's a bit tough to see, but the arrows point it out when it's in doubt.

-->Slow
Monday, July 30, 2007 4:47 PM
Good Stuff!!!!

Monday, July 30, 2007 7:05 PM
Most guys seem to think mounting the cooler lower is better. But there's plenty of airflow near the top of the radiator if you'r looking for a hiding place.

-->Slow
Friday, August 03, 2007 6:59 PM
Looks like 2" piping kit and cast intercooler elbows will be coming my way via eBay.

I have the airbox almost built out of PVC. I have to figure out how to get the crankcase breather plumbed in.

Saturday, August 04, 2007 5:25 PM
also moving the eecs so the airbox can exit the engine compartment. You need every last bit of space you can scrounge.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search