Oil Leak on 1.8 Turbo - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil Leak on 1.8 Turbo
Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Does anyone have a good solution for the oil leak that seems to plague 1.8 turbos out of the top of the Cam Cover on the driver side? It seems like a pi$$ poor design. I just put a new piece of rubber hose on it and it leaks. I think the design was improved on the 2.0s. Can something be retrofitted?

Re: Oil Leak on 1.8 Turbo
Sunday, July 29, 2007 8:04 PM
May I make a recomendation that's not a retrofit.I have had similar leak issues not with the cav but,I bought a $12.00 can of permatex's The Right Stuff gasket maker and I swear this stuff is the BEST!!!!! on the market.Being I am not fluent with the issue,This product sold at advance auto parts and auto zone or napa is solid gold to fix leaks when u disasemble and reasemble stuff.It sets up fast and would recommend at least 24 hrs even tho it cures quick,(based on my use) and NO leaks.It comes in a can that looks like cheese whiz and I have used it for cooling like thermostat, and oil pan applications.This is the best thing I can point u toward unless someone else has a better remedy.Hope this helps u out,and maybe fix the problem too.

Re: Oil Leak on 1.8 Turbo
Sunday, February 08, 2009 6:37 PM
So after years of wondering, I finally figured this one out. A stock 1.8 showed up at parts galore and I was able to see how this is supposed to look. I was using a hose that was too large with worm gear clamps. Factory they came with a smaller hose with spring clamps.

Done!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search