ReIntro 82 J2000 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ReIntro 82 J2000
Wednesday, August 22, 2007 7:58 AM
Hi Everyone. I just rejoined the forum. My old profile seems to be no longer, probably because I did not post much. I do read messages here alot though.
Anyway, I am reintroducing my 82 Pontiac J 2000 4 door. Its a great little car, and out of all my cars I drive this one the most. It has the 1.8 OHV engine and an automatic tranny. Its ot 90,000 miles on it now. Ive had it for about 3 years. Was a second car for my stepdad, he bought it from the origional owner in 2001, it had something like 37,000 miles on it when he got it. It had 61,000 when I got it. It runs good, but has a couple oil leaks right now. Think it is the valve cover and the oil pan gaskets. The body is pretty solid, but had a couple rot spots, I filled them with fiberglass. I plan on finishing the bodywork soon, and a quick paintjob. I also put 14" wheels on it, and cheapie whel covers.
I certianly wish it was a v6 and a 5 speed....maybe someday. It is not a fast car at all taking off, but will run all day long at 75-80 mph on the highway. I have taken it on 400 mile road trips. Its a great little daily driver too.
Here is a couple pics for now. Took them yesterday, and yep the car is dirty, its been rainy this past week.

Take care everyone.
Al
Catskill NY

Re: ReIntro 82 J2000
Wednesday, August 22, 2007 8:07 AM
wow i havent seen one of those in a REALLY REALLY long time, very low mileage for a car that old and looks like its in good shape

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 7:35 PM
How much do you want for it! I will pay just about any price - I posted in this thread, but a Pontiac J2000 ('82 or '83) is my dream car - especially with it being the auto and a four-door. PLease email me or respond on this if there is any price (ANY) that you would be willing to part with it for!

Thanks,

Kevin White
Thursday, August 23, 2007 8:01 AM
Kevin, Hi. I really do like my car alot. It's been a real good little driver. But I think I would be willing to sell it.I know I'd miss it. Let me tell you first everything I know of it, what it needs, and whats been done.
My stepdad bought it at a dealership he was working at. He's retired but was transporting cars part time. It was owned by an old lady. She had it since new. Its a very basic model. No power windows or anything like that, but it does have tilt steering. It had some evedence of bodywork, and a dented up fender when he got it. She had a garage, kind of scuffed up the body some. I have recently done some fiberglass work on it, there was a hole in the dr side rocker, and the bottom edges of the front doors, and the front part of the rt rear quarter panel. It is just roughed into shape right now. I also filled in the trunk key hole, it has an electric trunk release.
Interior, I put in seats from a 94 Cavalier,I wanted the fold down rear seat. and also the steering wheel. I kept the origionals, and they are a bit dirty, but in good shape. I also put in a cheapie CD stereo. Had a better stereo, but it died recently. I also put in the sunroof, its a 17"x35" one and the glass pops out.
Mechanically- Ive allways changed the oil, and have tuned it up. Had to use higher quality plug wires, and the cheaper ones allow sparks to jump on the dist cap. It leaks oil form the pan gasket, and the valve cover gasket, I was next going to get a full gasket kit and replace all I can. The tranny shifts fine and the lockup converter works fine.
Had to replace the carb mount when I first got it too. Its a rare piece that can only come from a dealer, its heated. has a wire coming out of it.
I also replaced the power rack andpinion(2-07), it had some freeplay in it, and I felt better knowing it was new. The rear springs are new(6-07), they are wagon coils, it sits up a little higher than before. Rear brake shoes are new(6-07). Cat converter 3 years ago. Muffler is a turbo muffler, and the curved tailpipe too at the same time as the cat. Front tires were new around may or June. Goodyears 195/70/14. Rear are older 205/70/14 coopers.
When my stepdad had it he replaced the front struts and brakes, and did the usual routine maintenance to it.
Other than the oil leaks, the left rear shock rattles some. Theres minor rust on the undercarrage, but no rot through. it starts up and runs fine, in all weather, but in the real cold weather, you have to give it a couple minutes to warm up at least, its tempremental in the 20 degree weather. The belt is off the ac compressor. I can take a bunch of pics if you want and post them on my website.
I would say, take a look at more pics of the car, and make me an offer. I don't really want to sell it, but understand the want for a car you used to love. I got the same thing with a 75 Monte Carlo. I will take some more pics right now.I am in Catskill NY, where are you located?
Al
alcoxon @ yahoo.com
Thursday, August 23, 2007 8:46 AM
I just made a short walk around video of the J2000.
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=16521631
Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:12 PM
Thanks for the quick reply and mini-video shoot. I have a few more questions. First, with a good steam cleaning or detailing, do you think that the original seats would be usable? Also, what color are said seats - I didnt get much of an impression about the interior. Do you have the rubber molding that goes on the side (I assume that if you did, you still would have taken them off in order to do the bodywork). As to the sunroof, and I have never attempted such a thing before, but is there any way I could....undo....the sunroof? I am hoping to have the car as stock as is humanly possible. I can replace the springs, though if they don't cause the rear end to sit up much higher, I would be able to deal with that. How much finishing is left on the bodywork and fiberglass? This last question may be a bit odd, but if you were to replace the gaskets and re-install the seats and such, how much would you want for that work - it is something I could do, but if I buy it I might want to simply drive it back to California rather than have it shipped (assuming its roadworthiness would not be questionable in some other regard. I don't know how much to offer, because I know that I am propositioning YOU rather than the traditional other-way-around, but assuming the latter labor (or without), how much are you thinking? Also, if you could email me at kwhitedaman@hotmail.com with some snapshots of the interior (both the current panels and the seats that you took out) that would be wonderful. Thanks.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search