Weatherstripping replacement - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Weatherstripping replacement
Sunday, September 02, 2007 5:34 PM
Has anyone had any luck repairing/refurbishing the outer window weatherstripping. I am fixing up my 87 convertible and would like to replace the outer weatherstripping on the side windows because it is old, hard and cracked. Any weatherstripping I find at the wreckers is in the same shape. Replacement weatherstripping from the dealers is not available any more. Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Weatherstripping replacement
Monday, September 03, 2007 10:50 PM
I have been looking for the Same for my 91 Z-24 with no luck if you have any let me know
Tuesday, September 04, 2007 4:23 PM
Daniel

to replace the weather stripping on the inside of the car, try this web site:

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/

view their catalog, and you will probably find some parts of interest. What I want to do is refurbish the outer belts (I think that is what they are called). I was hoping someone has tried this already and could give some advice.

If you run across some web sites with weather stripping for the Cavalier, please post. If I try anything, I will keep you posted. So far I have replaced the felt covered rubber strips on the rear windows but have not gone any further yet

Thanks
Friday, September 07, 2007 8:43 PM
That seems to be the one issue with 1st gens is the window strips on the outside.I have done countless searches and to no avail nothing.I think all of us are in the boat on this one.I assure u if anyone comes up with a remedy or even a retro fit design if will be posted bc most of us are in dire need of those seals for the doors and side windows on the seals for sure!

Saturday, September 08, 2007 12:45 AM
Made Contact With a company through my job they said they will contact me on monday and let me know if they can get the specs from Chevy so they can make replacement parts but the guy didn't seem to willing to help really so IDK if its really gonna happen Cross your Fingers
Sunday, September 09, 2007 4:35 AM
Has anyone tried to remove the old weather stripping from the aluminum and binding some new weather stripping? Any luck? If not, what went wrong?
Sunday, September 09, 2007 7:56 PM
I was able to find upper door trim off a coupe with 60K miles. The downside is it was cut where the b-pillar is so it is a little short for my vert. My back window trim is shot. I am really interested to see what we come up with in this thread. My originals are shot - like everyone else with a 23 year old car.

Monday, September 10, 2007 11:14 AM
+1 to this list for my '89. I bit the bullet and ordered the front window seal strips before they were discontinued, but didn't feel like paying $110 each (!) for the quarters, and now I wish I would have. Mine are all but gone.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search