2.0l vin p - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.0l vin p
Friday, November 10, 2006 3:12 PM
can I put a turbocharge on my 2,0l vin p 86 sunbird
if yes were i can find a kit or can a fit a sunbird 1,8l or 2.ol ohc turbo with a homemade manifold or something?
or what engine swap or modification ca i make to have at least 150 horses?
thank for respnses

Re: 2.0l vin p
Friday, November 10, 2006 6:26 PM
if you want 150hp go with the 3.1L .
Saturday, September 15, 2007 4:25 AM
You find a better answer in the 3rd-gen performance forum. But to save you the trouble, I'll tell you this: Anything 2.2L/2200 from the head gasket up will share with your app. Really wanna go turbo? then find yourself a '88-up 2.0L short-block for the DIS-trigger wheel crank, a '92-'95 2.2L block for the DIS crank trigger port & roller cam & prepped lifter valley w/ roller lifters, the head form '92-'97, the double-roller chain for a '82 OHV 1.8L (Good luck in finding that part, although you won't "need" it.), and the ECM from a '95 J-car w/ 2.2L or '92-'95 Buick Century or its W-car sisters w/ 2.2L I-4 for a factory ECM with a knock sensor. Remember to also replumb the fuel lines for MPI & install the proper pump in the fuel tank as well. After all that is done, any work or mod for the 2.2L can be done & any part (Outside of pistons & rods) or kit for the 2.2L can be used. (Prove me wrong, yo.) Good luck & let me know how this goes.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Sunday, September 16, 2007 6:56 PM
Quote:

You find a better answer in the 3rd-gen performance forum. But to save you the trouble, I'll tell you this: Anything 2.2L/2200 from the head gasket up will share with your app.

The 86 engine has an iron cylinder head which is very different from the revised aluminum head used beginning in '87. None of the accessories are the same between the two engines. Switching cylinder heads would require switching the manifolds and accessories as well. And honestly it would be better to use the later engine anyway becuase there are numerous improvements which appeared in '87. GM mentions the later bock was designed to work with the later head, indicating that a retrofit of the old head might be more work than it's worth.

Turboing the '86 OHV engine might be cool, but it will require some good research first. All the typical issues apply, plus there are even fewer parts available for that engine.

If you find a running 1.8 or 2.0 OHC turbo engine, get it along with the ecm, wiring harness, and as many other parts as they'll let you take. Even that project might take some work. But it certainly wouldn't take any more work than swapping in a V6.

-->Slow
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search