Sunbird CAI question?? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sunbird CAI question??
Thursday, September 20, 2007 11:42 AM
first off , i know i have a second generation, but i think i might get more info from this sections....i have a 91 sunbird, 4cyl 2.0, auto trans, im looking for ideas on a ram air or cold air intake, and ya ik ive been the V6Z24.com but i dont like that set up, does anyone have any other ideas on how to make one, my main problem is because i have the top mounted tbi.

thanks ahead of time for the info lol

Re: Sunbird CAI question??
Sunday, September 23, 2007 5:32 PM
I made one for my 84 Turbo out of a neon cold air kit and couple of 3" elbows, a 3" cone filter, and a 3" - 2" reducing elbow (to go to the turbo).

Works great!

Sunday, September 23, 2007 10:20 PM
on the 2.0l you come out over the valve cover and aim to get the filter to sit under the battery tray. just figure out what bends you need and go to your local parts store and order aluminum bends made by vibrant. 2 1/2" pipe should be plenty big enough for a little 2.0l. you will also need the couplers for the pipes and an adaptor to go from the pipe to the throttle body (measure the throttle body, i dont know how big it is off hand). just be creative.

i can tell you, its not a cheap thing to build. the bends are about $25 each and the couplers can be around $6 each. nother cheaper alternative would be to use pvc pipe and the large radius bends. i know people will laugh at this, but it does work well as the pvc doesnt conduct heat, so it doesnt soak the heat from the engine bay in.

Monday, September 24, 2007 7:01 PM
lol ya i ended up using pvc, but i kept the stock round filter, because when i took it out and put the cone on at the end, it would hit rev limiter when i full throttle, so i took off the cone, put the filter back in but i used a K&N, and i ran pvc piping down, to pick up cold air, and actaully that works the best out of the few different things i tried, ill post up some pics

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search