I want to upgrade 1989 2.8l... - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I want to upgrade 1989 2.8l...
Tuesday, October 02, 2007 8:52 PM
I have a 1989 z24 cavi with the 2.8 v6. It is a manual and the guy before me blew the motor up. I have documents on all the work the guy did heads, cam, bored a lil, trans rebuild, polished intake manifold, and k&n intake. I put Bosh fusion plugs in (like $10 a pop) and still want to put 8mm wires, higher voltage coil packs, street chip or thermo chip (i have no idea where 1 of these would go and no idea if it has 1 or not) and some other goodies. I was wondering where I can find a so called "universal gm supercharger" that would fit it or soemthing else. I DO NOT want a turbo at all. I dont have anything against them except there a pain to hook up when you need to do all the work urself. I was surfing the web and found they make a $100 electric supercharger that hooks up to an intake but only puts out 2-3psi of boost. So far to give you an idea of how fast it really is I took a 2003 camaro SS going down I83. No lie, he came up behind me, fooled around, i went into other lane, he gunned it, I dropped it to thrid and took off, walked him and grabbed 4th where I took off to about 120, grabbed 5th that took me almost to the red line and car acted up. He wasn't too far back but he looked baffled which I was also at the fact that somehow I beat a new camaro let alone a SS. Like every1 though I want more. I am thinking about NOS or a ZEX system but don't really want to pay for being caught with an opened bottle or blowing my engine. I'm looking for sugestions on an inexspensive way on getting more out of the car. I only paid $1050 for the car because after shelling out boko bucks for the car, it left it's previous owner sit and he got tired of it. I really really want a supercharger just because of the stud snapping low end power. By the way, do they make magnesium studs or something really strong b/c mine snaps them as is. Just blew a cv joint doing a 75 yard posi burnie.

Re: I want to upgrade 1989 2.8l...
Wednesday, October 03, 2007 6:40 PM
no superchargers out there for these motors. the electric superchargers may give you 5hp. they dont work and any real gains you get are soaked up by the alternator as it has to work harder to supply the power to the electric "supercharger". there are no upgrade cv axles, stock ones have been knownm to hold 400hp. and magnesium studs, wtf??? magnesium is very soft, softer than aluminum.

Sunday, October 07, 2007 11:04 AM
Magnesium bonded w/ steel. Pure titanium is very soft too. Duh!
Sunday, October 07, 2007 11:07 AM
What kind of stuff do you got in your 86?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search