84 Sunbird - No Throttle? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
84 Sunbird - No Throttle?
Saturday, September 15, 2007 1:14 PM
Hi Board-

I just got my new custom cold air on the car and removed the eecs and added a manual boost controller. I can start the car and it runs, but when I touch the gas, NOTHING HAPPENS. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe TPS failure as when I unplug it and start the car it behaves the same.

Also, the car seems to REALLY LIKE having the EECS system connected.

Any ideas how to remove it and still be able to drive the car?

I put the EECS and stock vacuum line back on the car trying to retrace my steps.

Please Asssist if you can.

Re: 84 Sunbird - No Throttle?
Sunday, September 23, 2007 5:38 PM
Got it solved today. Fuel + Fire + Air = combustion. Well, I had the first two. My "new" air intake had a plastic bag in it that clogged the air intake. Pulled it out and it runs well.

On a side note. I now know why GM went with a plastic intake on these cars. The partial metal one I made is LOUD. Sounds like a jet on the runway when the boost is up.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 10:13 PM
actualy the real reason is that the rubber one is cheap to make. and in reality the cone filter is what makes it so loud, if you had just used the stock air can it would still be quiet. but turbo noise is good, the louder the better, it scares the hell out of people when you pass them.

Monday, September 24, 2007 7:21 PM
Neat side story... I converted my 91 TBI car to PFI, used all stock parts from the junkyard but left the intake "muffler" off the car. The muffler is about 5 feet of ducting that loops down under the LF subframe rail. Without that part, that car is obnoxiously loud with the throttle open.

Paul, I'm not familiar with the acronym you're using from GM land. What's an eecs? As far as I've used it, it's a Ford term for Electronic Engine Control System.

-->Slow
Tuesday, September 25, 2007 2:38 AM
Sorry-

Evaporative Emissions Control System - refers to the charcoal can that absorbs and stores fuel tank vapors, and burns them as fuel.

I am trying to decide if I like the new loudness...

Friday, September 28, 2007 3:57 PM
Oh... haven't heard anyone use that term in years. Today the same system is called "EVAP" and that's what I'm used to. I should have grabbed an old service manual before posting the question.

-->Slow
Friday, October 05, 2007 12:38 PM
Is your car old if your service manual is decomposing?

I have owned this car for 17 years now...

Saturday, October 06, 2007 8:04 PM
Nope my oem manual for the car is in very good condition(the one in the glove box).Now my chiltons/haynes are cherry except the greasey finger marks for my referencing it when I did some things for specs etc.

Sunday, October 07, 2007 3:57 AM
I love it when I get a free junk J car with a free Haynes manual in it. Seems kind of ironic to me, like maybe it was the fault of the Haynes that the car is junk.

I've got a service manual here I got with my first vehicle, a '55 Chebby pickup. It's got duct tape holding the masking tape binding together.

-->Slow
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search