Rear Suspension - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear Suspension
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:06 AM
Well besides the tranny's kickdown solenoid issue (parts on hand, soon to be resolved) I have noticed the rear suspension has sagged after putting weight in the trunk and driving back and forth from college.

So I was wondering what springs are good to replace the rears with? I already bought the base Monroe Gas-matic shocks cause I'm sure the shocks on there are are just as shot, and those will have to come off with the springs.

I'm not going for lowered or anything, but there are probably several different springs floating around (wagon, covertible, RS, Z24, Coupe, Sedan). I was wonder if there is any advantages putting the wagon springs in over the "xxx other spring". I know they used (IIRC) caprice wagon springs in the Monte Carlo because it jacked the back up and gave better tractions from launches. I was just wondering if there are anything similar to this for the Cavy!

Oh and I'm not looking to buying expensive springs, the end of the car just needs to come back up when the bags come out of the trunk. lol I'm just worried about overloading the car because right now its weighed down by full book bags, two duffle bags, and two people. :blackeye:

Thanks in Advance!

1987 Cavalier 2.0 OHV
-A work in progress, one step at a time-
--->Body restore/repair
------> Shaved antenna, 80's Trans Am wing, 90's Grand Am Fogs
------> Spray Bomb to a Gunmetal Gray
--->Custom CAI, 2.2 Header swap, crazy exhaust from previous owner
--->Soon to be sporting 195/65 R14 on Amercian racing rims

Re: Rear Suspension
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:51 PM
I just last year did a complete rear end restoration. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/647974 just scroll thru to the rear end stuff.I would recomm going with spec springs mine are trw from advance auto parts and work fine.The springs vary based on model coupe,wagon etc.Just stick with stock unless u are looking for performance mods and additional cost to go with it.New springs are stout and it made a hell of a diff on my ride after my resto.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 6:35 AM
Alright sounds good then. I just wasn't sure if there were advantages to using other springs. It would be pretty funny to use the wagon springs and see how high the end sits!

But I'll probably just go for the stockers for the correct vehicle.

1987 Cavalier 2.0 OHV
--->Body restore/repair

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 10:31 AM
Ron, what is the wheel gap on the back of your cavy with the new suspension in? My cavy is going to get alot of traveling miles being weighed down with stuff from college. I would like to make sure that it doesn't big the back down too much.

Right now on my tired suspension I couldn't get my fist inbetween the 13" alloy and the top of the fender (I have about a 1" wheel gap on the top). I was wondering where the stock suspension height is suppose to be???

1987 Cavalier 2.0 OHV
--->Body restore/repair

Friday, November 30, 2007 9:03 PM
Ok I have 195/70/13 with the star alloy whls.Now with new mts,springs and monroe sensa trac shocks (trunk has only spare and a basket of extras) I measured right at 4 inches of clearance from the top of the tread edge of tire and the edge of fender weld with the metal trim.I could stick my BIG fist in the area and move freely I have big hands and that's good clearance.I am not sure of what specs are on that but,know the car is 100% level in my new garage and I am almost positive that with my resto job I prob gained 1/2 inch after the upgrade.The new TRW springs made a boat load diff there STOUT! U would have to be carrying cinder blocks to weight it down to get tire rub if u do the upgrade like I did.The springs I bought were from advance auto parts as were the mts,shocks.

Sunday, December 02, 2007 12:52 PM
Well I ordered the convertible springs (they have an extra 40 pound intial load per side). So basically I get an extra 80 pounds of carrying capacity!

Oh and trust me, I blew out the struts, and crushed the springs on my Contour freshmen year on the ride home. I'll need some extra spring stenght!

1987 Cavalier 2.0 OHV
--->Body restore/repair

Saturday, December 15, 2007 7:50 AM
Woot!

Springs and shocks are going in this weekend! Along with the American racing wheels I picked up. Its gonna completely change the stance of the car! I can't wait to have it finished. And of course there will be plenty of pictures coming!

1987 Cavalier 2.0 OHV
--->Body restore/repair

Saturday, December 15, 2007 4:25 PM
Well here are the results!

Beginning:
Rear Fender Well Height: ~25"
Tire: 185/80 R13 Hanook
Shocks: Gabrial Red Gas Flyer (?from who knows where?)
---Pass. Side Complete Gone, no recoil
---Driver Side Dead, 30 minutes to recoil, after messing with it
Shock Mounts: Replaced previously, in good condition (woo!)
Springs: Seemed Original, Shot to the ends of Earth

End:
Purchased One "SUV" car Jack
Purchased pair of "3 ton" jack stands (Old ones were just complely shot, probably 10-20 years old)
Rear Fender Well Height: ~26 1/2"
Tire 195/70 R14 BF Goodrich Traction T/A
Shocks: Gasmatic from Advanced Auto
Shock Mounts: Reused
Springs: TRW Cavalier Convertible.

The car has not been test driven! But It has had some bouncing done inside the garage, and the response is 10 times better!

1987 Cavalier 2.0 OHV
--->Body restore/repair

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search