Intercooler In - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Intercooler In
Sunday, November 11, 2007 7:40 PM
Well, it took me a while, but the intercooler is in. The car is not taking to it to well yet. I am running about 5 lbs of boost and it is much louder. All clamps are tight so it does not seem to be leaking. Takes a little longer to spool up, but does seem to make more power over 4500 RPM.

Still have to get it dialed in.

Pics on my cardomain page - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2672588

I will let you know how the tuning goes...

Re: Intercooler In
Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:49 PM
Cool proves to be interesting on ur mod.I myself have to wait till xmas for some parts mostly the last couple things on my complete rear end brake upgrade.I have new whl cyldrs,shoes and the wife is going buy the 3 spring/hardware kits and new drums.The kits r sold left/right side then the real hardware metal components.I still have the axles to do I was holding out in hopes of a complete front suspen resto,that's gonna have to wait.The axles will be done in a couple wks ,I have some house inter painting to do first then the car.That's my scoop here.

Saturday, November 17, 2007 6:33 PM
Had small teak in charge pipes. Now at 7lbs. Need to adjust the wastegate rod... Car is back together and I am gonna try and drive it a little before the snow flies.

Monday, November 19, 2007 4:28 AM
Hey, that looks pretty good. If you're willing to switch to the later 7749 computer I'm sure we can help you get rid of the MAP bleed. There is usually room for improvement in the factory calibration.

-->Slow
Monday, November 19, 2007 3:59 PM
Slow-

Thanks for the offer. The 7749 computer - is that the one from the 2.0 cars? I am all over that. Tony was saying you were doing a little work for him on getting his right. I have the front end back on now. You would never even know that intercooler is in there. .

I am just looking to run the stock tubo at max psi (13 I think) and with the intercooler / airbox / catback / tuning was hoping for 200 FWHP.

I was at Murrays and I had some high school kid trying to tell me there was no such thing as a turbo sunbird from the factory.

Good times.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 4:40 AM
So, I'm in an area outside West Springfield, MA and I'm heading home, when a ricer Honda with 3 kids pulls up beside me. The passenger asks me where I found the turbo sticker (it's the OE emblem on the fender) and I say "It was on the car when I bought it."
So we play a bit, but I never try to outrun him. Two, maybe three lights I keep up with whatever he's giving (lights are close together). I get a compliment! "That car's not too bad." I say "Thanks" and leave it at that. They got in front of me for a bit, and after a few more lights a Camaro zips by. Well, now, that seems like fun so I go after the Camaro. It's a late '80s car with some work done to it but it wasn't that quick. Still a bunch quicker than that Honda. So the fun's over, I've slowed back down, the ricer catches back up and now the kids are all over the car asking questions. There's no way I can convince 'em GM made a turbo Sunbird, no matter how hard I try. Oh, well.

Ya, 7749 is for the 87+ 2.0 cars. It's also in some 89 N bodies with the 2.3 quad4 engine.

-->Slow
Tuesday, November 20, 2007 6:06 AM
What should I expect to pay for the computer?

How tough is it to swap out?

Keep in mind mine is an 84. Stuff that looked like it would work from the newer cars does not always work...

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:05 AM
I'd start with car-part.com to see what ECM's are selling for. I won't generally pay more than $50 but I tend to find em between $20 and $35. Don't worry if it doesn't have the right memcal as I have a few spares.

As far as the wiring harness is concerned I think making an adapter is the most painless way to go. This involves getting the connectors an a few inches of wire harness from a later car and an ECM with the same plugs as yours. I believe almost any C3 type ecm can be used as a donor although I can't be sure until I see the connectors and wiring pinouts for your '84. But if it's done correctly you end up plugging the newer ecm into the adapter and the adapter into the harness without harming a single wire on the car. I'd be glad to help with this part of the project if you decide to go this route.

-->Slow
Tuesday, November 27, 2007 7:35 PM
Car part.com says $100!

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:07 PM
Quote:

Car part.com says $100!

Huh!!??

Hmmm.... Michigan??

Most expensive, Ken's Auto Parts USA-MI(Muskegon) @ $75.09

Least costly, Big Mike's Used Auto USA-MI(Harrison-Township) @ $30

In between,
Cut Rate Auto Parts USA-MI(Flint) $30
Baker Auto Parts USA-MI(Grand-Rapids) $35
Carson City Auto Salvage USA-MI(Carson-City) $35
R & S Auto & Truck Parts USA-MI(Mancelona) $35
Economy Auto Parts USA-MI(Muskegon) $40
Go Go Auto Parts USA-MI(Delton) $40
Davison Auto Parts USA-MI(Detroit) $45
Diehl Auto Parts USA-MI(Southfield) $50
Dorr Auto Salvage USA-MI(Dorr) $50
Discount Auto Parts and Sales USA-MI(Mount-Pleasant) $50
Davis Auto Parts USA-MI(Charlotte) $50
Fredd's Auto Salvage USA-MI(Saginaw) $50

There's a few more, but I stuck to the "no more than $50" rule.

hth
-->Slow
Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:34 PM
Slow-

Nice work. Harrison Twp is not that far away from me. I will see if I can get some wiring with it...

Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:38 PM
I found their site, but no dice on the part, what info were you using? I was looking under pontiac sunbird ecm.

Friday, November 30, 2007 4:08 AM
I used car-part.com to find that list. I looked up a 1987 Pontiac Sunbird engine computer, selected "w/ turbo". The car-part site uses Hollander Interchange information to find like parts from different model vehicles. In the case of the 1227749 it was used in some 88 and 89 Quad 4 equipped N body cars, the Sunbird w/ turbo, the Grand Am w/ turbo, and the GMC Syclone and Typhoon. Big Mike's lists the ecm as being from an 88 Grand Am with a 2.3.

I've found that it helps to call the yard and tell 'em you saw the listing on car-part. Sometimes these yards have parts listed that they seem to forget about until you remind 'em. Many of these places don't seem to be internet savvy yet.

-->Slow
Saturday, December 01, 2007 3:38 PM
Score! I went to Big Mikes and have it in hand for $30. They said they do not have any of the harness stuff for anything "that old", so I am out of luck there. I can watch the u-pick it, but it is getting kinda chilly for that...

Any thoughts?

Sunday, December 02, 2007 3:10 PM
Excellent! Did it happen to have a chip / memcal installed?

I might have the parts here to build a harness. If not, I believe I could get them for cheap $$ at a local U-pick. It's been 0 deg F here the last few days, so if it warms up to 20 or so, that would be like a tropical day. I'll look around and see what I can find.

-->Slow
Sunday, December 02, 2007 6:54 PM
Slow-

I took the access panel off, it appears to have the chip in it. I would be willing to pay for parts and your time on this. I really appreciate the support. I just got the car back on record at the secretary of state. I have to bring the title in as they purged it as it was not registered for 10 years.

I still have the exhaust mods to do, as well as modifying the wastegate rod. That looks like it will be a pain, but the extra boost is well worth it. I have a fab shop that wants to help me remove some of the silicone in my charge pipes (I have like 9 pieces), but we will see if I go that route.

I can ship the ecm out to you whenever.

Paul

Monday, December 03, 2007 1:14 AM
Shortening the wastegate rod increases the minimum boost level. If you have a wastegate control solenoid hooked up to the 7749, we can do it through the desired boost tables without changing minimum boost, allowing for some means of retaining traction if it becomes a problem. Are you expecting to run more than 14 psi?

-->Slow
Monday, December 03, 2007 3:46 PM
I have the wastegate control solenoid in place. I would really rather get out of messing with the rod. I was going to just run the max my current turbo can handle - 13lbs.

Thursday, December 06, 2007 9:45 AM
I finally made it out to the barn. If your stock ecm is a 1227748 then I have everything necessary to make an adapter harness.

If I'd been paying attention I would have remembered this:
Quote:

I am just looking to run the stock tubo at max psi (13 I think) and with the intercooler / airbox / catback / tuning was hoping for 200 FWHP.

What is the 4 letter code on the 7749 memcal?

Oh, and I may try and start making the adapter today.

-->Slow
Thursday, December 06, 2007 5:01 PM
slow-

The memcal - at least that is what I think it has has a few numbers:

DELCO AMDD 8389 on top, and on the side 68767 8750.

How tough is it to see the # of the one installed in the car?

Thursday, December 06, 2007 9:22 PM
Slow-

I cheated, so I did not have to take the car apart. I had the ECM and PROM replaced back in 1990. I looked at the invoice and it is part # 1226460 and #1227176.

Hope this helps.

Friday, December 07, 2007 11:00 AM
Sorry for the slow replies (no pun intended). With the snowfall here last Monday I've been very busy.

AMDD is a 2.3L Quad 4 memcal. It's very common. We should be able to use it for the turbo program.
I happened to take a minute this AM and looked up the 84 ECM and I also came up with the 6460 number. I'll have to find a picture of the connectors to see if I have the correct ECM to strip the female connectors out of.

-->Slow
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search