85 Sunbird 1.8 with a blown turbo - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
85 Sunbird 1.8 with a blown turbo
Tuesday, February 05, 2008 9:40 PM
Hi, I have an 85 Sunbird 1.8L with a blown turbo.
Though I haven't pulled it out, I'm pretty sure it's blown... I was passing on a hill, and suddenly a big boom and loss of power and a TON of smoke coming out the back (and then entering the passenger compartment). Sounded like the fins were rattling around in the catalytic converter... the car starts and runs (no power though) and within 10 seconds it's smoking like a chimney (I'm guessing the oil seal broke in the turbo?)
What can I do? I don't want to scrap the whole car, because the rest of it works great, but it isn't a show car worth putting a bunch of money into. I've been searching around for a used or rebuilt turbo, but the few I've found are between $300 and $500 just in parts and the car isn't really worth that much... I'd be willing to attempt a DIY rebuild (taking it to a shop to be balanced) just for the chance to learn how to. Otherwise, maybe someone here has one around?
Any advice would be great...
Thanks!
james

Rare early 80s J Car finds and sales
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 7:34 PM

Guess what! I saw my first 1982-1983 Chevy Cavalier Wagon for sale! I will drive buy it tonight and jot down the details. This car is parked on busy Ventura Blvd here in Tarzana, California. What is odd is that the body is in immaculate shape and 26 years old. It seems to be going for $800. Having never been up close to a 1st generation wagon, I will take a look at this car and let you guys know what the for sale sign says. Unfortunately, if no one buys this wagon, it will probably be crushed as most Californians don't have a soft spot for the first Cavalier. I am almost positive this has to be the last 82-83 Cav Wagon left in this part of the San Fernando Valley. However, oddly enough I have actually spotted a few living 82-83 J bodies on the road here in one year of daily driving. One was an abandoned 82-83 Cav Coupe that was parked on my street and finally towed away 6 months later.
Re: Rare early 80s J Car finds and sales
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 7:36 PM
Sorry, I did not mean to ignore your message. I am having trouble posting. I wish I could help save your car as I know it is rare. I wish you luck in your project.
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:02 PM
That's ok..
so does anyone have an ideas on what to do about my turbo???
Thursday, February 07, 2008 12:27 AM
i have one kicking around, 150+ shipping. but as for your question, have you done a compression check yet to see if it is infact the turbo, OR, if it's a headgasket ect? as for the DIY turbo rebuild it's not that hard to do... just make sure you have a good set of snap ring pliers, and LOTS of patients!

watch for flying sparks!!!
Thursday, February 07, 2008 11:03 AM
boostNbags, thanks for your response. i haven't checked the compression yet... i will do that and report back
some more details if it helps,
it is only burning oil... the coolant level has stayed the same. there aren't any air bubbles in the oil, and it isn't milky so luckily coolant is not getting into the oil.
the smoke (A LOT, like James Bond smoke screen) comes out the tailpipe, leaks a little out exhaust manifold, and there even is smoke inside the engine when I take the oil fill cap off and look inside -- this is when it is idling for less than two minutes, not necessarily when boosting the turbo. and it gets worse as the engine warms up (probably because the exhaust pipe heats up)
i was on the freeway when it blew and i continued to drive it to the nearest exit, it would only go about 25 miles per hour. and it sounded like there were parts rattling around in the exhaust, i thought maybe the fins from the turbo.
if it is a turbo, what are the chances that it threw some parts into the engine too and destroyed something internally?
thanks everybody for your help... i love this car and would really like to get it back in action.
Thursday, February 07, 2008 11:39 AM
i hate to say it, but it sounds like a either a blown headgasket, or what happened to me, one of the exhaust valve guides shifted and it was pressurizing the crank case/ oil was getting into the wshaust and being burnt........

the good news is the headgasket is VERY easy to do on these motors, after you do it the 1st time........

watch for flying sparks!!!
Thursday, February 07, 2008 12:27 PM
if the compression is good (120-150psi?) does that mean the exhaust valve guides have shifted? how does that get fixed (or does it?)
Thursday, February 07, 2008 6:19 PM
also i checked the air intake tube coming off the turbo, and it had oil in it all the way up to the throttle
thanks for the help
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search