Having trouble, need some ideas - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Having trouble, need some ideas
Sunday, March 23, 2008 8:05 AM
My mother gave me her 1986 Cadillac Cimarron, 2.8 auto with 53000km on it. The down side is that it has been in an accident and the body is pretty ruffed up. But it runs, at least it used to. Now it won't run.

It starts, but won't stay running, won't idle, falls off right away. Tried undoing the exhaust. Replaced the cap, rotor and plugs. Replaced the MAF. The MAT test all right. 150 pounds + in each cylinder. Fuel pressure is 40 pounds. Vacuum on start is 20 in-Hg but falls off as the engine stalls. The throttle body is clean. Never touched the distributor rotation and it ran well up until last week.

If I feather the gas I can keep it running for a bit, but it starts to smoke and then dies. The plugs are wet. Wait a minute and it starts up again and then falls off.

Even tried blocking the return line on the MPFI and got the pressure up to 70 pounds but no change.

I am wondering if it could be ignition. The coil is separate from the cap. I really don't know how to test the HEI.

Any other ideas?

By the way, I still am working on my 87 Cavalier convertible with the 2.8 5-speed. Hoping it will see the road this summer.

Thanks

Re: Having trouble, need some ideas
Sunday, March 23, 2008 8:37 PM
Well I am not fluent with the 2.8 engine.So That being the case I would recom buying a chiltons manual for the 82-94 gm js sold at advance or auto zone it has the specific checks for coils like u have.It is to lengthy to decribe how to chek the resistance and it has pics.Being its dumping fuel I would lean towards the coils or even the egr valve is gummed up.To clean it use carb clnr and make sure if it has a pintle that moves up and down it moves freely.I would also consider changing out the fuel filter too it may have trash in the line being its prob way old!Even tho its coating the plugs and u have proper fuel psi I would change it out regardless.Thats what comes to mind right now I am kinda tired and not considering everything.U may want to do a code check too to see if its setting any being its a OBD1 car.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 8:55 PM
check the coolant sensor and their wires, check for the cold injector being stuck open
Friday, March 28, 2008 4:44 PM
I would also recommend a new coolant temp sensor. If these go bad, your car will usually idle rough and run extremely rich.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search