86 turbo sunbird questions - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
86 turbo sunbird questions
Thursday, March 27, 2008 2:35 PM
Hey guy,

New to the turbo world and I just had a few questions about increasing the psi on my sunbird. I have a 1.8t with the factory t2 turbo and i was wondering how much i can increase the boost on this engine without killing it. I have read on the forums that the pistons are not forged and that nobody seems to like the 1.8t. I am looking to reach the 210 to 230 horsepower range with my engine. I just brought the intercooler, bov (HKS) and a manual boost controller. I already have a equis boost gauge installed because i read that the factory gauge was not accurate. Also do i need to change any injectors, fuel pump, or any other fuel parts to raise my boost to around 10-12psi. I have read the boost faqs and trying searching, but i am on getting stuff for the newer engines and a few posts on the 2.0t being the fastest j-body stock car. Any help on this would be great.

Re: 86 turbo sunbird questions
Saturday, May 10, 2008 7:48 PM
Hi Anthony-

I am in the process of doing the same with my 84 Turbo. I had to remove the AC for starters to free up some space.

I started with a turbo regal intercooler, fabbed some necks on it and plumbed it in. I made a customer airbox from a kit for a Dodge Neon. I then worked with slowolej (Shannen) on the ECM tuning. I was palnning on using a manual boost controller and map bleed, but did not need it. I am running right around 10 PSI with no issues. I do need a cat-back exhaust, and will get one before I dyno it.

The car pulls noticeably harder in 2nd and 3rd. It make a nice noise that turns heads.

I have pics on my cardomain page (Paul84Sunbird)

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 4:39 PM
Thanks for the response. I am glad somefelt the need to help someone else with a problem
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:02 PM
Hi-

Well I put the exhaust on and now I do need injectors and revised tuning.

I will let you know how it goes...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search