transmissions for 1.8 turbo - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
transmissions for 1.8 turbo
Thursday, April 03, 2008 7:49 PM
Are there any 5 speed replacement transmissions for the 86 sunbird gt. I am looking to upgrade my clutch and can't seem to find anything above stock replacements.

Re: transmissions for 1.8 turbo
Tuesday, July 08, 2008 8:52 AM
You can use the very durable getrag/munice HM282 5 speed transmission off a 87-91 Turbo 2.0.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 4:41 PM
I have read a little about them, but they seem to be very hard to find
Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:52 PM
they are, they only came in the turbo sunbird and Grand ams and obvioulsy only 5 speeds wich wasnt very many since probly 60-70% of the turbo birds were autos.

I have a complete HM282 with drive shafts for a bird for sale if your not to far away maybe you could pick it up or I could meet you half way, or even ship it through grey hound might not be to much.

For clutches and such I always go with centerforce, check there website, I'm pretty sure they make a clutch kit for the 282 since it came in many other popular cars. like the V6 J, N, L bodies

Friday, August 01, 2008 9:39 AM
Mr_Efficiency (Tyrin) wrote:I have a complete HM282 with drive shafts for a bird for sale if your not to far away maybe you could pick it up or I could meet you half way, or even ship it through grey hound might not be to much.

Tyrin:
Actually I need a new HM282 myself. My current one I swapped in years ago, had an axle seal go bad when I put my new engine in 2 years ago, and I didn't know. It was over a pit, and all my royal purple trans fluid leaked out.... I drove it with virtually no fluid for 8k miles before I noticed it started to make a little noise. It's amazing how durable these are. However to be sure i've got a good tranny I'd rather replace the one I have, maybe to rebuild the old one later.

How much are you looking to get for this trans? How many miles does it have? I'm in Rochester, NY, litterally just across the lake from you... Maybe I can find someone with a boat, otherwise it's about 4.5 hours of driving.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search