2005 Grand Am SC-T (What's good and bad) - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2005 Grand Am SC-T (What's good and bad)
Monday, April 07, 2008 6:14 AM
Like the subject says.

I have a chance to scoop up a 2005 GA SC-T loaded for $10,000. It's in mint condition and has the ram-air and all that good stuff.
I guess I’m not sure what the SC-T package is...I plan to investigate a bit more online. But really I’m wondering what's good and bad about the Grand-Am GT's?

I know some of the bad (head gaskets) but is that exaggerated a bit or do they really just blow like clockwork at 30,000 miles? And are any redeeming qualities about them? I hear a lot of bad thing about them as of late, especially on here, so I’m a bit weary about if I should get it.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Re: 2005 Grand Am SC-T (What's good and bad)
Monday, April 07, 2008 7:57 AM
The SC-T Is an Appearance package. Includes ground effects, hood and spoiler. It's a really good looking kit.

As for GAGT's, they really are terrible cars. And it's not the head gaskets that go. It's the lower and upper intake manifold gaskets that go. There's a suit going on about Dex-col anti-freeze causing the gaskets to blow. They also have problems with the wheel hubs. The sensors for ABS and traction control's are always going bad. In the 6 months I owned my GAGT, I had 3 out of 4 replaced. I also bought it just after (I'm talking 1000 miles here) the intake gaskets were replaced. When I traded it in, the gaskets were shot again only 15,000 miles later. Granted mine was a lemon, but check out www.grandamgt.com, as well as www.grandamownersclub.com.

In all honesty, they are very crappy cars. The reliability is terrible. the transmission in mine was also starting to slip, and I took great care of that car.

And on a side note, stock for stock, your Z-24 is faster.... they are extremely slow IMO, and very hard to get anything out of when modifying without getting into the manifolds, and heads.

I would not buy it. Let it be someone else's headache.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search