Hoard Parts? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hoard Parts?
Friday, July 06, 2007 6:47 PM
I had my car in for some exploratory (trouble shooting) service and was told I should be horading parts if I have not started already.

The stuff I needed they did not have, or even have access to. I have heard my tire size is going away also 215/60/14. Looks like I will be getting all I can from the u-pick it saving the stuff for a rainy day...

Anyone else started to do this? Is it really necessary?

Thoughts?

Re: Hoard Parts?
Friday, July 06, 2007 10:43 PM
I've got a couple things laying around......a front clip with pop up headlights, and pretty much a whole turbo setup, with a rebuild kit......I've tried getting parts, and had the same problem with some things, such as gaskets, brake lines, and hoses for the turbo...just ended up making my own, but now I will probably switch to the other stock hoses....if they don't leak.

Jason

USACi =>146.9db
14.88 @ 90.73MPH =>GM Charger, Motor Mounts, Catback exhaust
Saturday, July 07, 2007 9:44 AM
ive never had problems geting parts for my car. as for my motor, well, it was used with little major changes from 80-95 in many cars, so no worries there. suspention is pretty much the same for all j/l/n bodies 82-96as for body stuff, well, yea they are getting hard to find in the junkyards. when i find a first gen z24 in the junk yard, i grab what i can from it.

Saturday, July 07, 2007 8:01 PM
I have a barn full of parts for my 2nd gen and I keep adding more. If I owned a 1st gen still I'd be grabbing one of everything I could find. car-part.com may become your friend.

-->Slow
Saturday, July 07, 2007 8:42 PM
I started hoarding parts for my J about 3 years ago for that very reason. I had a hard time finding parts at the local Chevy dealer and the guy told me at the parts counter to "start buying stuff" before it was discontinued or obsolete. The pull-a-parts are a great resource for us! My basement is chock-full of convertible J parts from over the years.

If you see one like yours in a yard, pull what you can off of it. I doubt there will ever be an aftermarket parts supply for these things anytime soon...if at all.

Saturday, July 07, 2007 9:17 PM
Well, I located the tires. Looks like I can get my 215/60/14s from BFG. The Cooper Grand Turbos I had are discontinued.

I sent my old interior to the trashman about two weeks ago. It was pretty clapped out, so I do not feel too bad. I do still have the front seats though.

I have a u pick it close by, so I grab stuff when I can. The first gens are getting hard to come by though.

I need a front e brake cable if anyone has a line on one.

I will add pics to my profile so you guys can see how things are coming along.

Saturday, July 07, 2007 10:05 PM
the front e-brake cable can be used from a 2nd gen, although its about an inch shorter (the inner cable) so you have very little adjustment. if you dont have enough, you can use 2nd gen left and right e-brake cables and it will work like new.

many parts can be interchanged all the way up to 94, some of it bolts on, some of it takes a ton of work.

Monday, July 09, 2007 10:33 AM
Quote:

Looks like I can get my 215/60/14s from BFG

Firestone also has a Firehawk Indy 500.

And to answer the hording question, of course! I've got spare seats all the way down to OE radiator hoses and period correct OE hose clamps that still work.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Monday, July 09, 2007 8:43 PM
U would be suprised what advance auto parts sells for our 1st gens! I have never been there to hear sorry we just do not have that.And tire size is not a issue, sams club and many tire stores still carry the orig 13' tire sizes for the oem rims everyday,maybe not white letter tho,like I have.As far as body and interior thats clearly salvage yards or seeing a donor car in a yard deal.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 4:00 AM
Quote:

Firestone also has a Firehawk Indy 500.

Those tires work well for me.

-->Slow
Saturday, August 04, 2007 2:56 PM
Not like this will ever happen again, but I needed one of those annoying transistor things for my headlight switch and digital dash (the one that when bad, causes your dash to light up with the lights off, and go dark with the lights on), and the first dealer i went to.... HAD ONE IN STOCK. I almost died. True story.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said

Saturday, August 04, 2007 5:19 PM
That is awesome. I felt the same way when I was able to get a new console for my Camaro and they actually had it in stock...

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 10:52 AM
Quote:

and the first dealer i went to.... HAD ONE IN STOCK

That's because the dimmer switch used on older Cavaliers were standard issue for around 11ty billion 80s-90s GM cars.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Saturday, February 09, 2008 8:06 PM
Now if the stupid aftermarket would offer the freaking weatherstripping for the exterior doors would be nice.I swear I have done numerous searches for window sweeps and everything comes up for all others like camaro,el camino, etc but no cavalier.I guess the J body car is just not good enuff for reproduction stuff since most do not cherrry this car like WE DO!

Saturday, February 09, 2008 9:02 PM
I was thrilled today when I went into Murrays and was able to get a 180 degree thermostat for my 84. Everyone was asking what the handle was all about.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 7:51 PM
It's funny how advance auto has like boat loads of parts for first gens.I have bought so much from them for mine.I still need to do my front end axles (still) bc I was hoping to the rear brake stuff but money had to go to the pick up to do some work instead.I plan to do the axles after I get it inspected safety only.At least we can share where to get parts available and maybe one day some of the hard to find or no production stuff will bcome avail as aftermarket (yeah right).

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:58 PM
Speaking of Advance Auto I work there as a part time job on weekends and we can get a lot of stuff for the first gens including slavage parts. If you ask the counter person we have access to salvage yards across the Unites States. It is a little known fact that we do this because it does not earn the company much capital, but we do it none the less to please customers as well as people looking for nos or aftermarket parts. There are also reproduction parts that we can get through the same program for some reason. The reproduction parts are hard to get though because a lot of them are just listed and are not manufactured anymore (leave it to the company to upgrade the software on a low capital endeavor). The parts can be ordered from the store over a phone and shipped to the store. Just be aware that some of the parts you are better off doing some searching for as some of the used parts are high priced. I just wanted to put this out there because the 4 door J body I am fixing up has been in the family since it was new. It will be beautiful once again and I hope to get some pictures up here sooner or later when SONY ships my digital camera software to me. We Gen 1 guys gotta stick together on the parts hunt because I have to agree that it is very unlikely that these parts will ever be reproduced. Any questions please do not hesitate to ask and head to Advance if you have any further questions into the salvage parts program. Thank you for your time.
Thursday, April 17, 2008 2:04 PM
I have recently been looking for a camshaft for my 83 cav with a 2.0 and have found they are now out of production. Dealership states that they have not been produced since 1993. I have also tried local parts stores as well as on-line stores only to find that no such beast is available.

By a stroke of luck I found a place in Oregon that grinds cams. Says all I need to get him is the casting number and he can grind me a new cam! I will keep you updated as to my success.
Thursday, April 17, 2008 8:58 PM
Ok John did u bother to check http://www.advanceautoparts.com bc they do carry camshaft for the 83 with the 2.0 with the carb or fuel injection version and u did not show ur engine specs on the engine code so I picked the 2.0 B eng carb/fuel inject.They show pics of the parts and the cost was like 127.00 for the part.I would bet they have what u need just remanuf. and u prolly would have to order it and have in two or three days guessing.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search