1.8l turbo dies when slowing to a stop - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1.8l turbo dies when slowing to a stop
Tuesday, April 08, 2008 3:33 PM
My sunbird 1.8L turbo dies sometimes when slowing on a highway..Does this car have a TPS..if so, would anyone know where it is, and a part # for it, and most importantly where I would find one?
Thanks

Re: 1.8l turbo dies when slowing to a stop
Tuesday, April 08, 2008 8:50 PM
Umm I doubt it is your tps sensor! If it was the idle would be shiat all the time.Being u have a automatic does the car choke or hesitate when coming to a stop? If so when was the last time u changed the fluid in ur transmission like yrs ago.I would say if ur fluid has not been changed in YEARS it is prob toast and has fried ur TCC switch better know as torque convertor clutch switch or module and will make the rpms in ur car go all over and even kill the engine in drive.Until you reply back I will assume that u probably need to drain and trans,repl the gasket and filter, and replace the above part,U can disconnect it in the mean time it will not hurt it,just the mpg and it may have either a two plug or four plug term on the trans not sure the exact loc being I have a manual trans myself.That's where I would lean towards based on ur post at this time.Should be a simple fix

Sunday, April 13, 2008 3:48 PM
Let me just tell you that my 2.0 was doing this very same thing and I was fed up with driving with both feet. So before I left from work I got the nerve to climb on the ground in my good pants and yank the plug for the tcc. Let me tell you that once it warmed up I did not have this problem again. This was friday and has been running like a champ ever since. Tune-up in 2 weeks im exited!

Thursday, May 08, 2008 3:47 PM
My 2nd gen 2.0L turbo 'Bird started doing this until I replaced the idle air motor.....
Good luck
Moe
Tuesday, July 08, 2008 7:09 AM
TPS is mounted in plain site on the throttle body and like 9%% of cars, it's on the other side of the TB opposite of the linkage. A parts store will ussualy stock it. A scan tool can tell you if it's bad - when it starts to act up, let off the gas entirely, see if the scan tool thinks you're at 0% throttle opening. If it says anything else other then zero % the values are drifting after startup and it's bad. Unlike many imports, the TPS on this car is self adjusting. The computer takes the value / voltage it specifies on startup as the "zero" value, so every time you turn off the car and back on, if you have a TPS problem, it will go away, until you drive it for a bit and the values start to drift.

Monday, July 21, 2008 3:13 PM
Ok, I am sure it is the TCC causing my problem, and rather than leave it unplugged, I would like to change it..How do I do it...does it bolt on from the outside, or do I need to get inside the tranny to replace...I do have a lift avail, so getting under the car is not a problem..please advise replacement proceedure if you know..
Thanks muchly
Peter
Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:10 PM
The TCC solenoid is under the side cover of the transmission on the driver's side of the car. If I recall correctly you have to remove the plastic panel at the front of the wheelwell and probably remove the tire too for adequate access. It looks a lot harder than it is. After you get in there the solenoid is held in by a couple of bolts and has a couple of wires attached to it. That's about it. Remove, replace and live happily ever after.

Tony
1987 Sunbird GT turbo convert
Ported intake, Fiero 53 MM TB, 52 lb inj, ported and flowed head, tube header, Mitsu TD06, ARP rod
bolts/head studs, adj cam sprocket, 4" x 12" x 31" FMIC, Paxton AFPR, modified 125 trans/LSD
unit/3.42's, custom chip tuning, Alky Control Methanol injection
13.61 ET at 101.44 mph, 262 WHP/350WTQ

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP roadster, 2.0 turbo w/GMPP exh, CAI and turbo upgrade, 290 hp/325 ft lbs

1969 Olds 442 convert
400 Eng, 200-4R trans, 3.73 posi, power everything, OAI

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:11 PM
I believe your trans is the same as these.

http://www.v6z24.com/howto/tcc

I replaced this on my Sunbird, its really not that difficult and having it fixed pays for the repair in no time. (no more sucky mpgs!)
Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:22 PM
May I add something very important once u replace the tcc.Replace the transmission fluid and filter this is a MUST!The reason the original died is the trans fluid has served it's purpose and no longer can protect the trans from heat and wear as it is intended to do(similar to oil).IF you do not replace it the problem will return bc the heat will fry the switch or module as it is called and ur money will be wasted.This is one detail I did not see and want to make sure you know this so you do the job right the 1st time.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search