Fuel pump & adj. FPR - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fuel pump & adj. FPR
Friday, July 25, 2008 1:10 PM
I have a 87 Skyhawk turbo with the 2.0 motor, is the fuel pump and fuel press. regulator
the same as a Buick Turbo Regal/GN, thanks for any and all input as I'm new to these vehicles.

Ron

Emmett, Id. 87T/R 11.69@117

Re: Fuel pump & adj. FPR
Friday, July 25, 2008 9:14 PM
You can make a GN fuel pump fit in the tank pretty easily but the pressure regulator is a goofy one that attaches to the rail with a female fitting. Best thing to do is cut the fitting off, use a conventional 1/4" pipe, 5/16" straight tube or other fitting and reflare the line on your fuel rail. Then you can use whatever AFPR you want remotely.

Tony
1987 Sunbird GT turbo convert
Ported intake, Fiero 53 MM TB, 52 lb inj, ported and flowed head, tube header, Mitsu TD06, ARP rod
bolts/head studs, adj cam sprocket, 4" x 12" x 31" FMIC, Paxton AFPR, modified 125 trans/LSD
unit/3.42's, custom chip tuning, Alky Control Methanol injection
13.61 ET at 101.44 mph, 262 WHP/350WTQ

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP roadster, 2.0 turbo w/GMPP exh, CAI and turbo upgrade, 290 hp/325 ft lbs

1969 Olds 442 convert
400 Eng, 200-4R trans, 3.73 posi, power everything, OAI

Saturday, July 26, 2008 6:48 AM
Thanks 2liter, on another note the FPR looks to be kinda hard to R&R, any suggestions or tips on how to do this,
I have a spare AFPR from my T/R that I would like to use as well as a couple of stock pumps that I would also
would like to use, also what size are the stock inj. and are they the same impedance as the GN and also are they
the same size physically to plug and play as the stock type GN inj. And prolly not the last question, who does the proms for these cars, I have not talked to Eric @ Turbo Tweak about these cars as it is possible that he could also do something but if you have another source that would be great too.
thanks, I'm sure more questions too follow!!

Ron

Saturday, July 26, 2008 8:42 PM
Yes, it's a pain in the ass to get at. I find taking off the power steering pump and brackets makes working back there a lot easier. That's no picnic either but hey- welcome to the world of the LT3!
To use the Buick FPR you need to transition the Sunbird rail to the Saginaw flare the Buick FPR accepts. Not impossible to do it's just easier if you use more conventional style fittings so you can plumb it with high pressure hose to simplify things a little. That's your call.

Stock Buick injectors are high impedance and the 2.0's are low impedance but they will physically interchange. They're both about 28 lbs/hr anyway.

Ford brown tops (35 lb for a 2.3 turbo ) are pretty cheap as are the Ford blue tops ( V6 T bird super coupe) which are 42's I believe. There's a Mitsubishi blue top that's 450 cc which I think is 46 lb or you could use the cheap Mopar 52 lb ones like I have. They were $150 a set when I bought them a few years ago. They're actually more like 46 lb when you rate them at the same pressure the others are rated at. Still, they're cheap!

If Eric Marshall will burn you a chip it would probably be fine. I have one in my Buick and it runs nice. He often the Buicks in open loop at idle though so if you have to pass an emission test in your state it might not pass if he does the same for you. Keep that in mind.

My chip is a combination of a friend of mine creating the basic template, me messing with it a little, him bailing me out when I get myself in trouble, I screw around a little more, he repairs what I did again, I try something else and he stays on alert to see what I touch next. He frequents these forums often so if he's interested in getting involved he'll chime in. Otherwise give Turbo Tweak a try.

How far do you intend to go with this car anyway? If you add more than say 15-17 lbs of boost start pulling out timing or you'll get good at changing head gaskets, bearings and cranks. Take the word of one who knows!

Tony
Ported intake, Fiero 53 MM TB, 52 lb inj, ported and flowed head, tube header, Mitsu TD06, ARP rod
bolts/head studs, adj cam sprocket, 4" x 12" x 31" FMIC, Paxton AFPR, modified 125 trans/LSD

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP roadster, 2.0 turbo w/GMPP exh, CAI and turbo upgrade, 290 hp/325 ft lbs

1969 Olds 442 convert

Sunday, July 27, 2008 2:10 PM
2liter, not planning on going far with it, for right now I just got it back together from the guy I got it from, he had put a new timing belt and water pump in it and I just got it running today, need tires will do that tomorrow and license it as well and see what I have and go from there, and then it is on to the 89 Sunbird Turbo I also picked up from the same person, he says it also needs a timing belt,
so I will start on the Sunbird soon and see what I have with it and take it from there, will keep you informed of all progress and also
more questions I'm sure, lol
thanks

Ron

Sunday, July 27, 2008 7:03 PM
Good luck! Turbo Hawks are pretty rare. Sunbird Turbos are seldom seen nowadays too.

Tony

1969 Olds 442 convert

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:51 PM
Got the 89 Turbo Sunbird running, the water pump was locking up and had the valve timing 90 degrees
off, installed new WP and timing belt, also had to install new fuel tank and pump as well since it had no
fuel pressure, dropped tha tank and that gas had to have been in there for several years, who was the
Einstein that put the fuel pressure test port in that location!! Got it all together hit the key and fired up
instantly, both cars have 81k miles on them, the Skyhawk is noticeably stronger running the the 89
Vert Sunbird, might be the weight diff, I do not know , will be taking the Sky to the track on the 21st of
Sept. to she what she does.

Ron

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search