2nd gen motor/tranny/suspension/cage in 1st gen? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2nd gen motor/tranny/suspension/cage in 1st gen?
Friday, August 01, 2008 12:08 AM
I've got a race built motor and tranny, and all new suspension on my 94 cavy, and I just destroyed the body. I've got an offer to buy an 87, how much would swap over easily? I don't need to worry about wiring anything up, everything in the car runs off 3 switches and a starter button, and I can have the wiring harness and ecm out in a matter of a few minutes, it's just bolting up the motor and the suspension that I'm worried about, and also if the cage would fit (4 point? cage, no strut/fender bars). I'd also like to hang on to the rear end, if they're the same, mine was slightly damaged in a crash, resulting in both camber and toe, both of which we aren't allowed to put in intentionally

Re: 2nd gen motor/tranny/suspension/cage in 1st gen?
Friday, August 01, 2008 10:00 AM
Yep, the suspension is interchangeable from 82-94. Engine should bolt up exactly the same. The physical dimensions of the interior should be very close as well as long as its an 87 coupe, not hatch. The only difference may be in the rear seat area, but on that note, the interior for an 87 is the same up to 90. You can reference this suspension FAQ here http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/suspension-brake-faq-read-this-first-update-19-apr-08-t78514.html

Plus, First gen's are way sweeter!
Friday, August 01, 2008 10:08 AM
Thinking about it more, the 94 will have ABS and the 87 will not, its not that big of a deal though. Also, the fuel lines are not quick-connect, they are the threaded kind. All the mounts are the same location.. etc.
Friday, August 01, 2008 2:47 PM
I forgot to mention that the ABS system has been removed from my race car, it's been replaced with a 91's non-ABS master cylinder and brake booster, and the rotors/calipers are off a grand am, IIRC. Also, we're using a fuel cell, so the fuel lines don't matter either. Can you confirm if the rear end (axle and all) is the same between the two? Also, if it's a standard, it should be either the getrag 4 speed or isuzu 5 speed, right? And if it's the getrag, it should bolt right up to the 2.2L block? Thanks for the info!

Sunday, August 03, 2008 11:05 AM
The rear axle will be the same, it might have different swaybar hardware and the e-brake cable will most likely be different, but it will bolt up just the same. About the transmissions, I am not totally sure. I don't know a whole lot about the 2.2's. Is the 87 a 2.8 or 2.2 or whatever? You should register over at V6z24.com. Over there people know lots about the 2.2s.
Saturday, August 09, 2008 10:45 AM
if you can, take your front brakes with you to the first gen.

i think in 92 the front brake rotors were larger.

Monday, September 01, 2008 8:47 PM
passed up the 1st gen, got a 2nd gen z24. Not that it wouldn't have worked, but that the guy selling the 1st gen thought I was a sucker, and tried to raise the price to $800. I walked away, and found a 2nd gen z24 for $200 Will keep this in mind if/when I crack up the z24 though, thanks for the info.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search