Under informed person seeking answers - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Under informed person seeking answers
Friday, August 01, 2008 1:36 PM
OK, this most likely has been covered a million times over, but my searching has not given me much.

The 1.8 Turbo engine, besides the bore what is different then the 2.0 turbo that makes the larger engine more well liked? From what I have been able to find online I see nothing. Can someone shine some light on this subject for me? I ask simply because I'm looking at an 86 conv, with a manual.

Re: Under informed person seeking answers
Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:29 AM
The 2.0 was generally considered a more reliable engine back in the day when these were new. The 2.0 had a timing chain and did not have the OHC.
Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:05 PM
Gee now we have two underinformed folks. The basic highlights are:

1. All Brazillion engines were of the OHC style. The "other" GM engines used timing chains.

2. Not only is the bore larger... 3.386" vs. 3.34" but the stroke is longer also... 3.386" vs. 3.13"

3. The cylinder heads are diff also. Intake valves 1.69" vs. 1.61".... Exhaust valves 1.44" vs. 1.38"

4. Intake manifolds were also changed. 1.8's had smaller volume, were a non-egr manifold. Just to toss this in real fast the 2.0 had a much more sophisticated computor control system.

5. The 1.8 turbo is a much smaller turbo than the 2.0 has, as well as different exhaust manifolds.

6. Camshafts were also upgraded, as was the oil pan/windage tray set-up.

So "basically" that's the real big diff's............. hope this helps a bit
Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:14 PM
couple of other minor items:

Computer - 6430 series on the 1.8, 7749 series on the 2.0, more advanced and ODB1 compatible.

Air intake and box, larger and better design on the 2.0. Fuel injectors larger on the 2.0.

Much better oil plan / Windage setup.

That about covers what I have done to my 1.8 to improve it so far

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search