Oil Pans - 1.8 / 2.0 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil Pans - 1.8 / 2.0
Sunday, August 31, 2008 9:14 AM
For those of you that are looking to seal the bottom of your OHC 1.8 Engines...

I recently replaced the oil pan gasket on my 1.8 with the wet cork style gasket. Saying it was a mess and a PITA is an understatement. Balancing cork, gasket sealer, the pan bolts with loctite, all while moving the pickup around so it would go together right was no picnic. I think 6 arms would have been good at that time. Of course when all was said and done, it seeps oil. So I dug into options.

There is a permadry gasket for the 2.0. I bought it. It looks to be about the same shape, except it requires a skeleton for the stock oil pan gasket that the 1.8s do not have. I go down to parts galore and pull one apart to see what we need. The skeleton is actually the upper baffle for the oil with a gasket around it. On the 1.8, the baffle is part of the pan. So I ended up getting a skeleton and oil pan off a 2.0. I will clean and coat it, but my end result should be a nicely sealed bottom end. I can't get over what a better setup this is on the 2.0 vs. the 1.8. I will post pics when I get it together. I just changed my oil when I did it last time so I want to get my mileage out of it.

I just wanted to share.

Re: Oil Pans - 1.8 / 2.0
Sunday, August 31, 2008 9:58 PM
May I say the 2.0 gaskets SUCK too. Mine when I replaced it a month or so ago I messed up the 1st one.It came in four pieces two cork for the sides one rubber that goes at the groove and the trans and also one cork at the timing chain area.First off I did this with great care my oil pan painted and cherry used permatex's The right stuff( THE GREATEST EVER) went to hold the pan up and install bolts easy and then went to tighten only to see the Fnnnnn cork seal at the timing gears slipping out,I was like wtf!!!So I decided to pull the pan and buy a new gasket set for another 10 bux at advance felpro and this time NEW idea.I applied the two side corks gaskets using the same permatex prod applied on the metal put gaskets on and put a small amount of the rubber seal at the trans for a insurance no leak, instead of using the cork piece on the timing gear end I used the permatex the right stuff directley on the pan and on the groove the pan would touch on the bottom end and installed NO GASKET and seal that biatch up all bolts were hand tight no torque wrench and when I add the oil she should not leak at all.The problem is the lip is smooth and the gasket just moves all over and I figured if there is no gasket and used what I did it WILL not slip the gasket out or leak bc I used enuff to completely seal this pain in the azz.I was just as irritated as you when I did mine and I plan on finishing up on my intake install and get sunny running sept 1.I so hate the design of the oil pan no groove to keep the gasket in place it sucks.I am sure ur 1.8 is prolly the same design.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search