New guy (sorta) w/ 85 T-Type Skyhawk - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New guy (sorta) w/ 85 T-Type Skyhawk
Tuesday, September 02, 2008 8:29 AM
I joined this site about 5 years ago to find some info for a friend of my father. Well, sadly he recently passed to cancer, and I have acquired his car. I almost feel guilty having it knowing how much he enjoyed the car, but I plan to take good care of it, and fix the few minor issues, and you never know maybe make a few changes of my own...

I've been looking around for quite some time now, and finding very little info for Skyhawks and even less for T-types... From what I have been reading here though as far as first gen goes (and even some into second gen) a J-body is a J-body x 5... yes? I'd like to know what all the options were, and can I find power windows for it... stuff like that. I haven't had much luck searching...

Well, I'm sure I'll be asking some stupid newb questions trying to find out as much as I can, but until then if anyone can point me to generic Skyhawk info (especially T-type) I would really appreciate it...

Here's a couple quick shots I took with my phone:

Its a 1985 T-type 1.8L OHC 5-spd non-turbo...

Re: New guy (sorta) w/ 85 T-Type Skyhawk
Tuesday, September 02, 2008 7:49 PM
Nice car!, I have a Black 87 Skyhawk with Turbo and a Auto and not a lot of info that I can find out on these little
pocket rockets myself, seems not to be a lot of info out there or at least none that I can find.

Ron

Emmett, Id. 87T/R 11.69@117
Tuesday, September 02, 2008 8:04 PM
hmmm...

Well, maybe we can at least compare notes... So, far I've only put about 5 miles on the car, but after a little tune-up tomorrow (assuming I can get what I need) I'm going to try to drive it to work. (about 75 miles round trip) Yes, its only been 5 miles, but I can already tell this will be a fun car. Its kinda funny that I learned to drive on the Chevy version of this car. My mother bought 1985 Cavalier Type-10 5-spd new in 85...

BTW, I found the build sheet in the trunk this evening...
Wednesday, September 03, 2008 7:44 AM
Go to a local library and look for GM cars 1976-2000. It's a catalog of vehicles GM made. It has a lot of intersting facts and lists options and production numbers. There's also Buick, Cadillac, Chevy, Olds, Pontiac versions that usually go from their beginnings to 75th anniversaries.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 7:57 AM
Thanks Spike, I'll give that a try...
Wednesday, September 03, 2008 6:29 PM
Closer, nice SkyHawk. Welcome to JBO! We're a good group of folks that try to help one another out. Its always good to see more 1st generation people join up here, and with such a clean T-type you should be proud.

See you around here.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 1:59 PM
Thanks!

For years I've been thinking about picking up a 1st or 2nd gen Cavalier, but never really needed one, and usually had too many other cars/projects. This opportunity just kinda fell in my lap. As hard as specific parts may be to find, I'm glad though I got the Buick. This is the only Skyhawk I can remember seeing in many, many years, and the only T-Type I can ever remember seeing...

I just found last night I have a water leak in the front passenger floor. It rained all day.... Time for some investigating (after some grumbling ) I did a search, and found a few possibilities. I'll let you know what I find out, but (and this may be a really dumb question, since I almost had to order plug wires) is there any place I can get a front license plate bracket, or am I going to have to make or adapt one of my own?

BTW, do you guys have pix of your cars?
Thursday, September 04, 2008 8:39 PM
Wow that car is sweet.Mines a 85 cav type10 while closely related to a degree.The steering wheel looks the same as mine and the door panel is identical other than color.IF u want u can go to cardomain choose chev,cavalier and choose 85 yr models and click on ronsoldcav that's my ride.I did not bother to remember the link.Welcome to the site.

Friday, September 05, 2008 5:45 AM
Hey, nice car, and good job on the resto...

BTW, if your car was just gold with a tan interior I think it would be identical to my mother's old Cav. Oops, no she had different wheels... covers I think. I hate to admit this, but I kinda like the Cavalier interior better... and its hard to see in my pic above, but the steering wheel is a three spoke with brushed aluminum spokes, and leather wrap, plus its huge. I hate to change it out, but I'm thinking about something smaller.
Friday, September 05, 2008 5:23 PM
OK Buick guys, any questions or info, shoot me them............. Alan
Friday, September 05, 2008 8:30 PM
Awesome Skyhawk!!!

I had a regular Skyhawk for about a year in college. I added the T-Type rims. Yours is sweet and the real deal.

Welcome!

Sunday, September 07, 2008 8:28 PM
motorman377 wrote:OK Buick guys, any questions or info, shoot me them............. Alan

Hmm... I've done a little searching, but I'll go ahead and ask some probably newb questions here, so pardon me if I do, but you kinda asked for it...

and yes, I should probably do a little more searching and poking around on the car and I will, but...

okay, so my car is a 1.8L N/A 5-spd with 146k miles... and here are some of the things I'm kicking around in my head...

Is there a rebuild kit out there for the engine or tranny?
If not, can the parts be sourced individually?
Is there a short shifter available?
If not, can a shifter or short shifter from another car be adapted? Is it worth it?
Is that some kinda cassette storage thing under the radio? If so, how does it work???
Is there any one vendor to go to for resto parts? Kinda like Year One? Is there ANY vendor to go to for resto parts?
Is there a grant wheel adapter available?
I see that wheels from any J-body will fit, but how about seats? Front or back?
Are there any production numbers for just T-Types with or without turbo?
Are there any 1st gen J-bodies with power windows that I could look for?
Is there another engine that's easily swapped in that could give some much needed confidence?

Okay, so here are some of my thoughts on the future of this car with me. I don't want to do anything that can't be easily undone. I know its not a 6-pack Road Runner, but its still a rare piece of history, and is somewhat of a special car.

I would like to tint the windows, recover the seats, new carpet, replace driver's side door sill plate, replace missing front emblem, replace missing "K" on trunk panel, "maybe" add power windows, fix power locks, replace peeling chrome turn signal lever, lower it some, aftermarket wheels, aftermarket steering wheel, new shift knob if not shifter, rebuild or replace the 1.8L, and eventually work my way through all the suspension and brakes. I would hang on to any parts replaced, so I could easily return the car to original. I'm kinda thinking about taking it to a few car shows. Again, I know its no muscle car, but as much as I love my old Mopar and other cool classics/rods/etc, this is probably the kind of car that would get "my" attention at a show... You can only see so many Camaros and Mustangs...

Just my thoughts so far. Who knows... I may just drive it as is, and be happy...

BTW, I got my license plate mounted. Not exactly the way I wanted, but good for now.
Monday, September 08, 2008 1:22 AM
Closer9.... answers in order asked.

Yes
Yes
Not to my knowledge, but might be able to retrofit/make one
Will check one of mine, I listen to diff kinds of sound(s)
Check flea bay
Should be one, must check shaft diameter & spline count.
Yes
Yes on total production but only have figures for 87 turbo breakdown
Yes if you're mechanically inclined a bit

PM me with any other questions, much easier than tying up thread/site...... Alan
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 9:31 AM
Hey, y'all...

I haven't had a chance to find the water leak, but I did find another vacuum leak last night. It was the hose to the cruise module. I'm thinking I might need a new cruise module too. Or possibly a switch. It kinda works when it wants to, and adjust the wipers or turn signals will often kill the cruise once I do get it working... Oh, well... I'll figure it out eventually... I need to get the car up on stands, and check out the brakes and bearings...

BTW, here is the build sheet if anyone is interested...

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 10:20 AM
Good luck with your SkyHawk, its a gorgeous car and its always good to hear from folks who own something other than a J-body car.

The build sheet almost looks like it belongs to another car. Two things tip it off.

1- The Buick dealer it was delivered to says "Pete Gootos Buick - Opel". They stopped selling Opels in the U.S. in the 1975 or so.

2- It shows the assembly plant as the Leeds Plant in Kansas City, MO. All GM J-bodies to my knowledge were built at the Lordstown, Ohio plant.

It is a GM build sheet for sure, but is it possible it was from one of your friends earlier cars?

-D

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 10:29 AM
** I meant to say "its good to hear from someone who doesn't own a Cavalier or Sunbird".

Sorry, I can't type.
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 10:37 AM
A quick Wikipedia search shows that GM's Leeds plant did make the Cavalier, SkyHawk and Firenza up until 1988....but its still strange that the dealer would still be referred to as a Buick-Opel franchise. Maybe they were too lazy to change the buisiness name after GM stopped selling Opels. Who knows. This is probably the real deal then. I never knew they built J cars outside of Ohio!

This is interesting...

You can decode your 3-digit RPO's on that build sheet online to see what they mean.

http://www.s-series.org/rpo/

Thanks for posting it up! I learned something today.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 10:40 AM

According to wikipedia... ?
"The Skyhawk, along with its sister vehicle, the Oldsmobile Firenza, was built in Leeds, Missouri from 1982 through 1988, 1988 being the last year of Oldsmobile Firenza production when Leeds Assembly was then closed due to slow sales. For 1989 GM moved Skyhawk production to its Janesville, Wisconsin assembly plant where it also produced the Chevrolet Cavalier. Production of the Skyhawk ceased after the 1989 model year. The Chevrolet Cavalier was also produced at Leeds for some of the model years."

Not sure about the Opel part though. Could just be that they never bothered to change their name.

and yes, I kinda like having a "different" car. I also own a '67 Plymouth "Belve-What?" Guess, it goes well with my '85 Buick "Sky-What?" Most people thought just think its a Cavalier anyway...

It is nice that the J-bodies share so many parts though.
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 12:51 PM
Glad I could help. I feel my presence is now justified...
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:09 PM
I don't know why I clicked on the first gen forum, but I'm glad I did. I love those Camaro style headlights. In fact, other than the granny rack, I quite like it.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:00 AM
Thanks Scott... I've been having quite a bit of fun with this car. I love to see and hear people's reactions to it. I've gotten quite a few comments on how clean it is, etc. Which I can't take any credit for, but its still nice to hear. My only real complaint about this car would be the lack of any power. Its kinda hard to get up the hills or out in to traffic. I gotta really watch myself. I'm used to driving a 310HP truck, and I'm not sure, but I don't think this Buick is even in the triple digits...

I found last night that I need new end links for the front sway bar. The driver's side appears to be missing a washer, and so the spacer tube has pushed through the lower bushing. I also added an aftermarket shift handle and boot. Both are fake black leather with red stitching. Goes kinda well with the red stripe on the inside of the doors, but the handle is kinda tall, and since the shift handle is a flat bar, didn't want to fit down all the way, and is even taller. I may just take it back, and keep the original on there.

I also found a hood/valance emblem. I also found out its off the newer style front end, which I didn't realize was different until yesterday. It doesn't quite fit flush on the sides. Apparently the older front end has more of a point to the nose, but it looks better than two empty holes with some scratched paint around them, and I'll keep looking for the correct one. BTW, my wrist still looks like I don't know how to use a razor blade after trying to shove my hand through that little hole in front of the core support trying to reach the back of the emblem with a wrench...

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 9:23 PM
Where to start? I can tell you buying replacement (exact fit carpet) should not be a problem.There are several companies that offer it just do a google on auto carpet replacements or something to that effect.I know they make various styles and colors and they def make cav/sunbird so,surely they have for urs.As for ur typical engine sensors,hoses,alter,starter ur fine.Advance auto parts carries the MOST for late model js and suspension parts should be avail but,u may need to order it and wait a day or two.Also auto zone does carry alot that advance auto does not like the blower motor resistor for cars with AC ,this was a online order part only for my cavalier.I could list lots of specifics but,being ur car is unique u probably won't find like a new exhaust manifold,or intake, for it being a turbo car.They do not offer a new intake even for my 85 2.0 cav(junk yard is the only hope).U can buy gaskets for the oil pan,valve cover,but the turbo intake gasket is not avail.As for brakes u are ok there auto zone/advance carry most of that just depends on what brand u want ,I have most of the rear brake stuff for mine NEW except new rear drums need the cash to buy it.As for switches like power window stuff its avail not necess the auto stores do google searches it is AVAILABLE.U can buy new rear brake cables for the rear advance.Shocks/struts no problem I am going to buy monroes quick strut offered at advance ONLY and cost for each side is 170.00 ruffly.I could list alot of specifics bc ur car is simply the same as mine suspension wise and lots of other things.I hope this book I wrote gives u some insight into ur choices.I highly recommend going to advance auto parts web page choose a part it will give a choice to enter ur cars specs yr,model etc and it will give u the info for ur car on every part u may want and show if its avail or not. Good luck and just a note the seals on the outside of the driver/pass side of the glass are not made by any one but ,u can buy the seals that seal the doors against the body no problem.Note the seals I stated outside are molded and gm is no longer avail but,there is a post on this forum about seals like this and they are working with a vendor soft seal I think to see if they will start to make and offer them being most of need them bad.And the technical name for these are window sweeps.Ron

Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:56 AM
Thanks Ron.

BTW, my car is a T-Type, but not a turbo. Its just a N/A 1.8L OHC, and a pretty slow one at that (I REALLY want more power, but am worried about changing too much on the car).... I have been browsing O'Reilly Auto, AutoZone and Advance websites for resto/maint parts. Seems like most of the things I need are out there, however I hadn't seen carpet or power window stuff, and I did see the post about the window sweeps (we've always called them window felts around here), hope they hurry. I could use a set. I also found the turn signal lever with the chrome like mine on ebay for $20 or $30. They've got a solid black one at O'Reilly's for $40... My cruise seems to have a mind of its own, and when I first got the car the wipers thought you were talking to them anytime you touched the lever, but they seemed to have realized I only need them when I ask specifically for them...

I've been noticing a clunk from apparently the right front when I hit a good sized bump, so gotta do some investigating this weekend. I raised each wheel the other night, and bearings/tie rods felt good, so I'm thinking maybe something to do with the worn out struts or a control arm bushing. I was hoping it might be the sway bar, but I got the new end links on last night, and the clunk is still there this morning. However, the end links were in pretty sad shape, probably a good 3/4" of play in them...

and I'm really torn on power windows. I started a new post asking about a set I found locally, but I would have to relocate the switches or go with some other style. That little "pod" in the Olds I found would be in the way of my leg. Being 6'-2" there isn't a lot of spare room in there with me... Plus, I can pretty easily reach across to roll down the pass. side window... I do need to see what's wrong with the driver's door power lock switch, and probably lube both sides or replace the actuators. The pass. side switch works, but neither lock will move fully in either direction... BTW, I went back with the original shifter and boot. Probably looks better, and does feel better...

Thanks for the info, and if you think of anything else, feel free to post up or PM me...
Friday, September 12, 2008 8:51 PM
As for steering slop I did read u other post on suspension.I know u would like to lower it,I would stay away from that idea.It is possible there are some really old post on here that sharky posted about suspension stuff on his first gen cav and he used kyb stuff.As far as the norm stuff monroe makes the quick strut as I posted and does a great job for norm ride height.I am not up on shorter springs that are used on js for first gens.My rack n pinion was repl back in 90 and is still stiff minus the need for new struts.Currently I am keeping mine stock and did a complete rebuild of the rear with trw new springs for coupes and the monroe sensa trac shocks.The ride is nice the front is my next project after I do my front axles (replacing both sides) and input shaft seal leaking.That is my scoop.Check out the OLD post may be several pages back to find sharkies post.I do believe he lowered his 4dr or at least his previous car which was a coupe cav.

Monday, September 15, 2008 8:14 AM
Just curious Ron, but why do you suggest I not lower the car? I do want to keep the car as original as possible (at least in appearance), but there a few things I'll like to change...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search