Transmission Swap? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Transmission Swap?
Thursday, October 02, 2008 7:38 PM
Anyone thought about a 6 speed swap into a first gen?

I am trying to drive my 84 more and lets face it, it is much more comfortable cruising at 45-55 than the 75-90 that everyone wants to go on I75 and I96. I was thinking that a 5 speed would help, but a six speed would be better, giving a more agressive first gear and much better highway gear, yielding better fuel economy as well. I would like to retain a manual if possible, but am open to options.

Thoughts?

Re: Transmission Swap?
Friday, October 03, 2008 7:23 AM
For one GM never made a 6speed manual fwd tranny so you'd have too look at foreign automakers for one and then there's the making it fit part. I'd just stick with the 5spd. It would be neat to see somebody figure out how to fit GM's new 6speed auto into a 1st or 2nd gen J though.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 9:43 AM
You could swap the G6's 6 speed in. First gens are almost identical to Seconds. Read more here: http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/what-do-you-guys-think-tranny-swap-and-lsd-discussions-t104126.html
Friday, October 10, 2008 7:59 AM
glacierstoscrape wrote:You could swap the G6's 6 speed in. First gens are almost identical to Seconds. Read more here: http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/what-do-you-guys-think-tranny-swap-and-lsd-discussions-t104126.html

Interesting. If I had the money I'd go that route in a heartbeat with the way gas prices are, thank god its finally dropping below $3 again. Whoever figures it out and makes a swap kit out of it could make some nice $$$$ because alot of 1st and 2nd gen owners would love to add more gears for better fuel economy.

Monday, October 20, 2008 6:46 PM
looks like I can get a 5 speed out of an 85 for 150 on ebay...

Anybody know the Part # or type that will bolt up to replace my 4 speed? I may go that route as it sounds much cheaper than trying for a 6 speed.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search