Cav RS 2.8 or 3.1 Multi Port? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cav RS 2.8 or 3.1 Multi Port?
Sunday, November 02, 2008 2:38 PM
I've got a 1986 Cav RS convertible. Everything I've read said it is a 2.8 L V 6 but the badges on the front fender are 3.1 MultiPort F-1. The car came with a bra so I think the badges might have been moved or replaced. Or maybe it has had an engin transplant? How can I tell if it's a 2.8 or 3.1 V 6?

I'm going to give it to my granddaughter so I would like to have the proper badges for the year.

Grant Johnston, Chico, CA

Re: Cav RS 2.8 or 3.1 Multi Port?
Monday, November 03, 2008 5:54 AM
well if it has 3.1 multiport imbeded in the intake manifold... a good place to start. if not its a 2.8. and just incase you pop the hood and there seems to be a lot of extra space.... its a four banger
Monday, November 03, 2008 9:38 AM
Thanks Aaron,

It's a V 6 For sure. When I get time to go out I'll check under the hood and see if I can find the intake manifold.. They certainly pack a lot under the hood on these new rides.

I miss the good old days when Ford had a V 8 Flat head. There was plenty of room to work and it didn't take any fancy tools. The best car I ever owned for working room was the Triumph Spitfire. The hood was hiinged to the front bumper. When you released the latch on both sides it tipped forward and you could get to every part of the engine and a lot of the steering parts.

I spent many happy hour sitting on one of the front tires, tightening up all the stuff that would viberate loose if you drove it hard.

Thanks again,

Grant
Monday, November 03, 2008 4:24 PM
The original V6 engine option for this car would have been a 2.8 liter engine. The 3.1 didn't appear until 1990 in the Cavalier if I recall correctly, although the 3.1 was available in some Pontiacs and '1990' Lumina models built in 1989.

The engines are a popular swap though since they are relatively interchangable. Either way, nice car!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search