UGH! Sway bar bushings... - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
UGH! Sway bar bushings...
Monday, November 17, 2008 7:29 PM
Just changed the front inner sway bar bushings. What a wonderful design! Is there anyway to change those things without almost dropping the engine?

Oh well... I've got new Moog bushings, and it oughtta handle much better...

Re: UGH! Sway bar bushings...
Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:56 PM

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:32 PM
Thats what mine look like. I need to get on that.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:46 PM
Looks like some worn parts.I cannot start those until I do my front axles and then pursue the front end suspension resto work which will cost plenty.Short of it I am going to buy monroes quick strut (includes new strut,mts,spring all as one for about 175.00 a piece.And plan on redoing the fender welds with new undercoating and associated stuff on the suspension like the A frame to be stripped primed and repainted like I did the rear.Thanks for the heads up.

Saturday, November 29, 2008 7:16 PM
loosen the front bolts, remove the bolts at the rear and center of the control arm supports and remove the endlinks on the swaybar; then it should drop down enough to get the bushings out.

If you got it, a BIG truck brought it!
Saturday, June 27, 2009 6:55 PM
Closer-

I just started this today. I was able to find energy suspension end links, and I am going to use MOOG body bushings after I pull the bar off and powdercote it.

I spent 1 hour on on an original endlink that was especially stubborn. I still have to get the bar out. The service manual says it will slide out one side. I am not seeing it happen.

Just wanted to co-miserate. Tell me yours handles much better now...

Sunday, June 28, 2009 7:01 AM
Yep, PITA, but it does handle better. However, she's still sitting out front with the bad fuel pump. I spent about 4 hours yesterday stripping the van that's sitting where the Buick needs to be. So, I'm getting closer...
Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:14 PM
James-

I understand. You make me feel better knowing I am not the only one who has to move slow on some of these projects.

Friday, July 10, 2009 8:10 PM
Lets say I wanted to take the control arm supports off completely and have them powdercoted... Would that hurt anything? Could I drive the car on and off a ramp with those supports off? I am thinking it is not such a good idea to do noth at once. Maybe one at a time?

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:28 PM
I FINALLY FINISHED MINE...

I ended up getting the sway bar powder coated red. It is a real nice contract to the black undercote. I used the MOOG body bushings and the Energy Suspension endlinks (same as I have on my Camaro). It feels tight and actually wants to corner again...

What a difference!

Will be looking at the rear sway bar soon...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search