Thermostat housing – need help - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thermostat housing – need help
Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:15 PM
Does anyone have any pictures or know where I can pick up a thermostat for a 2.0 turbo? I am in the process of a full frame restore and have a water-cooled turbo I need to plumb. My parts manual shows a coolant line off the thermostat housing. I guess I could weld a bung to it and plumb a 1/4” line? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: Thermostat housing – need help
Saturday, October 25, 2008 10:20 PM
?ssssss you need to fill the profile out on your car please.Not knowing the yr model and specifics does not help when we ask ?s and so forth.As for the part being a turbo car worst case u can buy a thermostat housing for the 1.8 or 2.0 that should be identical and just drill a hole tap it and use a brass fitting to make the line to hook up to it.I know that advance auto parts sells the housing for the 2.0 with out the turbo and its under 10 bux.Now if once u visit the http://www.advanceautoparts.com website click on online shopping and click on the buttom choose ur vehicle which it will ask u the make,model etc and it is eng specific.I did a quick search but not knowing which yr etc I could not locate what u needed.If it is not avail I would buy a stock therm housing and drill,tap the threads and use a brass fitting versus welding which would prolly melt the housing or break down it's metal stability.If you have to drill/tap use some permatex thread sealant (WORKS PERFECT) for sealing threads oil,coolant, etc and is avail at napa,auto zone,advance in a white tube.This product is nothing short of kick azz!!!! This should give u some direction if the part is not offered and the housing should be the same between the 1.8-2.0 engines minus the coolant line u are talking about.Hope this helps.

Sunday, October 26, 2008 5:44 AM
" Normally" when someone does a full frame restoration they use OEM parts, not something that's half-azzed cobbled up. That's why it's called a "restoration".

The 1.8 turbo has a diff housing, cause it's not a water cooled turbo, and all the t/housings in parts stores are for a diff ohv engine, not the o/h cammer.

Anyone who's familiar with the first gen turbo engines knows that they are all the Brazilian engines, which are all ohc engines wether n/a or turbo.

Hope this helps..... Alan
Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:32 PM
I have a housing off of a 2.0 turbo car. It has the bung in it and has been sanded and repainted. Where do you live?

Friday, October 31, 2008 6:36 PM
Paul.... might not get a reply, as I emailed him when he first posted this question. I have six of these, all prime, but he may have already picked one up. Alan
Sunday, November 02, 2008 1:04 PM
Well, the good news is we support each other, right?

Monday, November 03, 2008 3:29 PM
Right you are Paul.... with the exception of those who use and try to you.....
Wednesday, November 05, 2008 6:47 PM
Ron, thanks for the post. I guess I’m a Sunbird nut because I own an ’86 turbo coupe and an ’87 turbo convertible. I started out thinking I would restore the ’86. I collected a lot of parts and was ready to start disassembly when I saw the convertible on ebay. I had been searching for the older convertible body style for a while with no luck and then, there it was. I had the car shipped from St. Louis MO to Mechanicsburg, PA. My co-workers must have thought I lost my mind buying a car DOA, but these a good little cars that if properly maintained, last a very long time. I have 265K on my ’86 to prove it and still drive it today back and forth to work.
Motorman – Good point about the restore. However, I have a mish-mash of parts going into the project car. I will be using a new 1.8 turbo block with a water-cooled turbo instead of the OEM oil-cooled (only) turbo. I think the extra cooling will be good for the turbo even though I have over 150K on the last turbo I rebuilt on the ‘86.
Paul, I am simply amazed with the work that you have done to your car. I too may do a few things while I have the car this far down. I have picked up some Eibach lowering springs (1” drop) and KYB struts/shocks. I was thinking about some type X of bracing to reduce body flex. Please let me know what you want for the housing. I live in Mechanicsburg PA which is just south of Harrisburg.
-scott
Friday, December 05, 2008 6:15 PM
Scott-

Thanks for the kind words. I have had my car since 90, so I have had plenty of time with it. On 2nd engine and turbo, replaced everything at least once and then some. The mods came natural after talking to guys on here. Good support network from the guys and girls here.

I have been thinking a bit about my next step and an thinking I want to hold onto the t-stat housing for now, Alan has like 6, so I would touch base with him. I keep looking for turbo 2.0 parts at parts galore, but they are not showing up like they used to.

I would be happy to talk cars any time. Right now I am doing the 2.0 oil pan conversion. I am waiting for it to get out of the powder cote place. (all I wanted was a better gasket on the bottom end and I "slipperly sloped" into a slightly larger project. My suspension and brakes need attention next.

My Camaro is also begging for a big project to get into the 12s. But LT1 projects are not cheap.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 1:51 PM
Quote:

But LT1 projects are not cheap.

True, but you can pick up a copy of Jeg's or Summit and find most of the parts you need for the LT1 engines. You're inna whole different class with the 'Bird.

-->Slow
Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:36 PM
Excellent Point Shannen!

It is good to be unique. There are more Camaros then you can shake a stick at on Woodward every year for the dream cruise.

And exactly 1 84 Pontiac 2000 Sunbird Turbo Convertible - Mine.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search