J-body Oldie, but a Newbie again - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
J-body Oldie, but a Newbie again
Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:43 AM
After 12 years, I finally have another Skyhawk. This time around I have the 1.8. I remember the 2.0 I had very well, but this isn't close!

Does anyone have any pics of a 1.8 that's as close to factory as possible? I have some wires and hoses that don't seem to be routed the way they really should go, but I can't figure out how they are supposed to be (I have some wires touching the valve cover, and that worries me; I also find it interesting that the overflow bottle drain seems to run down through the wheelwell, but that at least looks factory).

Thanx to anyone who can post good pix.

Re: J-body Oldie, but a Newbie again
Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:41 AM
IIRC from my "gas station attendant" days (the mid to late 80's) they aren't much different than a 2.0 J. The Skyhawk and its other GM cousins were known as "cookie cutter" cars, because they were all pretty much the same.

If you got it, a BIG truck brought it!
Friday, January 23, 2009 3:35 PM
Yup, whatcha need pix of?

Saturday, January 24, 2009 5:40 PM
Welcome back into the family!

You should be able to score a factory service manual on the cheap and get all of your questions answered.

I am sure we can get you some real life pics though

Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:18 PM
I got the factory service manuals (I still had them from my last Hawk).

I was hoping to see pics of a 1.8 (non-turbo) from both sides and the top (front). I really have a hard time picturing things from the diagrams in the books.

The car I got was owned by an older guy for many years, and I have a feeling a neighborhood kid turned the wrench for him. There's a few things that I know are wrong (like the wire I mentioned in my original post), the steering rack was replaced, but the job wasn't done all that well and the new (it looks pretty new) one leaks so bad I just had it replaced to get it over with. The interior is beautiful for it's age and it has a factory sunroof--the bag for the sunroof was even still in the trunk!

Right now it's my daily driver, I hope later this year to get my next car and take this off the road and really do some stuff with it (is it hard to add turbo to a car that wasn't?).

Living in PA it's been too cold for me to do anything at all, I'm hoping in the spring to really get to work cleaning it up and making things right, but for now I'm just plugging away at the little (and big) things necessary for me to fully trust this car as a daily driver--I keep waiting for something to really break on it before I get to it.

Closer--yours is a true beauty, I wish I could've found one looking so nice, a t-type would've really been a score!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search