Replaced radiator, now its overheating - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Replaced radiator, now its overheating
Friday, September 04, 2009 12:58 PM
replaced the leaking radiator in my 84 sunbird vert today, and now its overheating..doesnt appear that the cooling fan is coming on...what could it be..Thermostat, or fan motor or fam motors temp sensor (which I dont know where it is to jump out..can anyone help....put new radiator and all new hoses and clamps on...

Please help!
I am tired of working on this car..lol
Peter

Re: Replaced radiator, now its overheating
Friday, September 04, 2009 1:28 PM
air pockets

Friday, September 04, 2009 6:59 PM
Air pockets... or possibly, sometimes new parts come with plastic plugs on the ends.

I forgot to pull one of the plugs on a new power steering pump once and could not get it to work until I took it apart and found I left a plastic plug in it.

Assuming thats not the case, is the top hose opening via thermostat? Have you used the heater? Need to make sure all air bubbles are out

Friday, September 04, 2009 7:24 PM
Yep, my bet would be air bubble in the system as well. These are pain sometimes...
Monday, September 07, 2009 5:29 PM
Hey...You guys are too damn good..lol...Went and started the bird today after letting it sit for a few days, and saw air bubbles in the reserve/overflow tank...let it run a bit and it did not overheat. cooling fan came on after a bit too....sooo I am gussing once again you guys hit it right on the button- big air pocket someplace, stopping circulation....Will see in the am when I take it out to work..Thanks guys!

now if I could just find the ellusive oil leak...lol
Monday, September 07, 2009 7:44 PM
oh, that oil leak is coming from that thingamajig...you're right, we're really good here! ;p
Monday, September 07, 2009 8:24 PM
Well just for your info when u release the air out,it is a GOOD idea to leave the radiator cap OFF with the heat on,fan speed high and let idle for 15-20 minutes and pay attention bc it may bubble over some.This works and will release that trapped air every time even if some of the fluid starts to flow over once up to normal temp then cap it and and leave the resevoir cap off and it will level out.The trick is air rises to the highest point and the resevoir is lower than the radiators cap on first gens.I know every book will tell u to cap the system(after 22 yrs) of owning a vehicle this has been the most effective way to remove the air in most situations on my truck(1987 model) and the cav and pretty much any other veh I did a flush on.My two dollars worth.

Saturday, September 12, 2009 6:06 PM
yo man pull out that thermostat se if it suns cooler it should help some is the radiator used or new
?
Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:24 PM
Quick tip.....unplug the "coolant temperature sensor" (it is located just below the thermostat housing-2 wire unit on 85 2.8l). This will send the ECM into default mode (fan on) and the fan should come on. If it doesn't-check fan relay (drivers fender wall) or 12 volt fan motor.

And as many have already noted....air pockets in the 2.8 are a PITA.
Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:34 PM
Don Posey wrote:Quick tip.....unplug the "coolant temperature sensor" (it is located just below the thermostat housing-2 wire unit on 85 2.8l). This will send the ECM into default mode (fan on) and the fan should come on. If it doesn't-check fan relay (drivers fender wall) or 12 volt fan motor.

And as many have already noted....air pockets in the 2.8 are a PITA.

Old thread bro

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search