1982 J-2000 Turbo Cast Wheels with Bowling Ball Caps - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1982 J-2000 Turbo Cast Wheels with Bowling Ball Caps
Friday, March 25, 2011 7:19 PM
I know these exist, but I can't seem to find a set of the wheels anywhere. I have a full set of the caps in silver, but I can't even find a picture of what the rims look like without the caps. These wheels are nearly identical to the 82 Trans Am Knight Rider style wheels, only smaller in size. I have been searching for a set of these for about 6 years now with no luck. I found the caps by mistake. I bid on what I thought were Trans Am caps about 6 years ago, but when they arrived, they were too small and the backs were different. The number one way to tell the difference between Trans Am caps and J-2000 caps is the position of the pontiac arrowhead on the cap. I didn't even know these existed until I got a set in the mail. I've been on a quest to find a set of the rims to go with them ever since, but it appears to be impossible. Does anyone have a set of these or know where I could find them? I want to find a set to mount on my 2000 Cavalier to sort of mimic my 82 Trans Am. Here are some reference pics of the wheels:

Here is a pic of the caps that I own:

I know, probably a long shot...

2000 2.2 3 speed 2-door, Stock...

Re: 1982 J-2000 Turbo Cast Wheels with Bowling Ball Caps
Friday, March 25, 2011 7:48 PM
I really doubt it will help any, but Knight Rider was an 83 Trans Am when the show first aired; began in September of 1982, with a 1983 model car. I don't know if the TA had those hubcaps in 1982, and maybe in your searches the year will matter?

Probably not, but just throwing that out there. I've never seen those caps on a J before either.
Friday, March 25, 2011 8:22 PM
Not to get into a Knight Rider or Trans Am debate, but I consider myself a guru. Yes, the 1982 Trans Am was the first to have those wheels/caps. I own an 82 Trans Am. 82 was the first year model of the thirdgen Trans Am. Knight Rider pretty much debuted it. Universal got the first two 82 Trans Ams off the assembly line. They used the 82 thoughout the 1st/2nd season since about 30 someodd cars were donated due to a train accident that was carrying new 82s for delivery. In the special features on the DVDs, the Producers/Creators explain this. Getting back to the J2000, believe it or not, in 1982, some J2000s were given very similar attributes as the 82 Trans Am. These include the turbo cast wheels with bowling ball hubcaps, the round shift knob, and even the viscout open headrest PMD seats. From what I've read and researched, these particular cars are super rare. I didn't even know about these J2000s until about 6 years ago when I ended up with the hubcaps. Now I can't stop til I find the wheels. There has to be a set somewhere. I would just about kill to have one of those J2000s as a complete car with all the Trans Am-like features. However, to date, I've never seen anyone who has one anywhere.

Friday, March 25, 2011 8:25 PM
Just to clarify, the Trans Ams had 15" and 14" versions...15 is correct for Knight Rider and just looks better. The J2000 rims are 13" I've got a comparison photo I took of all 3 caps together since I own a set of all three including the 15s on my TA. I'll see if I can dig that up off of a flash drive.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 5:11 PM
Try searching here http://www.car-part.com/, I did a Search of USA & it brought up a13 inch wheel with Large center cap but it didn't have a picture however I'm guessing that's the wheel you're looking for and showed about a dozen across the US. I remember seeing those in these old High Performanc Pontiac magazines from the 80's I have. Good Luck

Saturday, June 25, 2011 2:23 PM
Still no luck.... Everytime I contact someone over the internet, they send me back a picture of the wheels that take the small center caps. I guess they really are an impossible to find wheel. I've already tried to install a cap on one of those wheels, but it's clear they are different somehow since there is no way for the cap to snap on and it sticks out and doesn't look right. If anyone in their junk yard quests comes across a set of these or you think it might be these wheels, please let me know!! Still on the hunt...

Friday, July 01, 2011 6:16 PM
Ok, this might swing your thoughts a lil. I'm pretty sure that 13" rims will not fit on '95 and newer J's.
Saturday, July 02, 2011 8:22 PM
Aaron Agar wrote:Ok, this might swing your thoughts a lil. I'm pretty sure that 13" rims will not fit on '95 and newer J's.

they will.

Saturday, July 02, 2011 10:58 PM
Exactly the first gens have the exact lug pattern and yes will fit!!!!! If I wanted too could use say the 16inch chrome factory whls on mine.But I do not.I will keep my thoughts on this and if I find something I will post it.

Sunday, July 03, 2011 7:16 PM
Yea I have 16 neons on one of my first gens. Maybe its just the steel rims that don't fit over the caliper.
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:37 PM
They will fit if you have a newer rim going on an older car. I had 96 Grand Am 16s on my 84 for a while. The newer brakes are larger. I doubt the 95 will take anything smaller than a 15" rim. I am looking to put larger brakes on my 84 and will "outgrow" my stockers. Not sure I want to change rims but I want and need better brakes.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:14 PM
Maybe what you need is a whole car with all three of the Knight Rider style options!

I just found this by doing a bit of a google search: www.thestreetpeep.com/2012/01/1982-pontiac-j2000-hatchback.html

This poor specimen has all three of the desirable options. Would be a great car to save for posterity.

I have never seen one down here in Australia, but I have seen an ancient Chevy Citation doing the rounds in Perth.

I am sure there will be one hidden here somewhere just like my Iron Duke Firebird was.

Cheers,

Jono.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search