'84 1.8 turbo needed or some input on a crazy idea - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
'84 1.8 turbo needed or some input on a crazy idea
Monday, April 04, 2011 2:53 PM
So I bought a beautiful '84 Sunbird 'vert for my mom. The thing runs beautifully, but the turbo is shot. The housing is so bad I don't think I could use it as a core. So, I've come to ask all the experts. Were can I find a turbo that won't cost me an arm and a leg? Or, why couldn't a guy put a n/a manifold off a 2.0 on it and call it good? The bonehead I bought it from gutted the turbo, and ran a bolt through the housing. The car doesn't seem to miss the boost, but it has a god-awful exhaust leak as you would imagine! Any input would be greatly appreciated, and as I cruise the first gen forum here; you guys seem like a real mature down to earth group so I know you guys will have an idea for me.

Thanks,
Will

Re: '84 1.8 turbo needed or some input on a crazy idea
Tuesday, April 05, 2011 12:50 PM
I would look for a junkyard 2.0 turbo and go with that. You will need the revised air intake, exhaust mainfold, and cooling setup, as well as the induction tube as they are clocked differently.
You should be able to pull it as a unit. I got one a couple of years ago for $50.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 5:54 PM
I'm on the hunt! Thank you Paul! As a backup plan, if I have to go with a n/a manifold, is the ecu mapped well enough to run safely without boost? I know on my 3.8's the ecu doesn't care, just making sure it's the same on these cars.
Saturday, April 09, 2011 6:25 PM
Will-

It should run, but the new turbo has more in it than your 6430 computer can give it. If you are gonna mod it further, I know a guy that can help you with a jumper harness.

Monday, April 11, 2011 1:08 PM
I just saw a 2.0 turbo grand am in a junkyard today that was 100% complete. I can get you info to that yard if you still need it.
Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:34 PM
I would like it...

Saturday, April 30, 2011 8:22 AM
Striking out at the yards around here. I found one at a u-pull-it a couple hours away but they wanted about $400 for everything I needed. I think that's a little steep...
Monday, May 02, 2011 11:19 AM
This might help? $275
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/2340657595.html
Turbo Pontiac Sunbird Grand Am Buick Skyhawk 2.0L Garrett 82 - 91 NEW - $275 (Near Hartford, WI)

Date: 2011-04-22, 12:54PM CDT
Reply to: sale-gstdw-2340657595@craigslist.org

Turbo
This is a Brand New, Genuine GM, OEM Turbo. This Turbo fits the following vehicles:
Buick Skyhawk 1982 – 1989,
Pontiac J2000, Sunbird 1982-1991
Pontiac Grand Am 1985-1991
with 2.0L engine. The GM OEM part number is 10132708. Retail for this Turbo is about $1150.00. This is a super deal for this brand new part.

Email me for a complete parts list. We have thousands of OEM parts in stock.

We will gladly ship this item. Shipping within the continental US is $14.88 Email me your address for rates outside this area.

Office number 262-244-1262 M-F

We accept the following forms of payment:
Pay Pal
Credit Card: Visa or MC
US Postal Money Order
Cash

turbo10132708

http://images.craigslist.org/3m53o63pa5Q05U35P0b4mbac6a9cd61c11998.jpg
Monday, May 02, 2011 2:16 PM
hmm, says 2.0. I know Paul said that the 2.0 turbo is different. I'll tear the one I have out and compare to the pic. Thanks for the find sunchicken!
Friday, September 02, 2011 1:33 PM
Well I finally found a 2.0 turbo, and have located a 2.0 donor car. Paul, what is different on the cooling setup, or more importantly what is needed from the donor car as far as cooling stuff? I don't have the car or the new turbo in front of me so I can't just go out and look. Thanks in advance guys!
Friday, September 02, 2011 5:31 PM
Will-
Air - Oil - Water...
Make sure you get the exhaust manifold and red charge pipe - that covers the air. The oil should be good with your 1.8 turbo lines. The 2.0 one is water cooled as you know. You need the T-stat housing with the feed for the water line for the turbo, and the line that Ts back in to the cooling system on the other side.

I would also grab the fuel injectors, computer, oil pan, and windage tray (unless you want to keep the cork gasket setup off your 1.8). I am working on coverting my vacuum lines on top of mine to the 2.0 setup as it seems to be less fragile.

I would also grab the vented hood If it is in good shape I would love to buy the hood insulator off of you.

What else is good on the donor? I am always looking. I would love to get a grey armrest and console insert out of a 86...

Saturday, September 03, 2011 12:26 PM
FWIW.... the turbo down pipe won't align with the stock 2.0 exhaust manifold. Need to fab or have made a new one. Perhaps you can get the one from the donor vehicle. There's several post I made explaining exactly what the diffs are between 1.8 and 2.0 turbos manifold swaps. Alan

Paul... wanna buy some water? Finally got everything almost cleared up, and found the floor again. Gotta love Irene.
Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:31 PM
Alan-

Glad to hear you made it through... When things dry up I am still interested in that charge pipe. Completely understand its not a priority for you right now

Saturday, September 10, 2011 4:16 PM
Well, I didn't get to the place in time to grab the whole car. However, I did get the full intake setup with injectors, ECM, charge pipe and manifold. But the guy I got the parts from stated he told the junkyard he wanted to take some more parts off of it. That being said, he did mention it had a very nice vented hood and rust free doors and fenders. I'm not sure if he would be willing to ship but if you live around Sioux Falls, SD it might be worth the call. PM me for his phone number. As for my project, all I have left to find is the T-stat housing. If the charge pipe doesn't exactly fit I can have my buddy tweak it or fab a new one. He's got a very nice manderel bender!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search