Looking for 1st gen 2.8 V6 coolant resevoir tank - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Looking for 1st gen 2.8 V6 coolant resevoir tank
Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:37 PM
OK Guys- my antifreeze overflow tank has a crack near a fenderwall mounting hole and it's blowing out coolant under pressure.

I don't like the smell of Prestone in the morning- it does not smell like....victory...it smells like "I am 15 buck a gallon and am making a mess of your driveway".

Not sure if 2nd gen tanks are a direct swap or not (never seen a second gen under the hood) so if anyone has a lead to an undamaged '85'-'87 tank for the V6 please let me know. I am thinking about taking the old one out and trying a fiberglass gel repair but that is the backup plan only if I can't find a replacement.

In unrelated news: The warning time when your voltmeter gauge start to drop>idiot light comes on>car dies in your driveway as you race home in panic mode is 20 minutes. Found that out today. What happened to the old days (until the end of the '70s) when cars gave warning signs of a week or so of slow cranking? Seems batterys go from fine to dead in nothing flat now! "

Thanka in advance!

Re: Looking for 1st gen 2.8 V6 coolant resevoir tank
Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:39 PM
Check out this guy on Craigslist. I looked at whole car but it was a little too far gone for me as I already have a parts cars. Good Luck

1983-87 CHEVROLET CAVALIER RS CONVERTIBLE PARTS, all rust-free bodyparts, good 2.8V6, you pull it, $125; good automatic transmission, you pull it,$100; excellint tilt steering column with sport steering wheel, set up fpr shift on floor, ignition key included, $75; rear quarter windows with power window regulators, work fine, $75 each; perfect windshield, $50; many new sensors, rebuilt ACDelco starter, $25; good alternator, $25; excellent original factory 13" aluminum rims for a 1986 model year, incl. center caps, $150 for set, will include mounted and balanced raised white letter 195/70R13 almost new tires for an extra $100.Good grey convdertible top,$75, perfect convertible top frame,$150. Car is completeexcept for doors and digital dash. New McPhearson struts. Take whole car for $350, have RI Registration, no title. E-mail me or call me at (401)465-1500.

http://providence.craigslist.org/pts/2415809491.html

Sunday, July 10, 2011 9:08 PM
Well if I go junk yarding soon I will yank one IF any are available.I have be thinking of going this week maybeeee.And if I do and find said part will sell it for cost plus just the shipping.And I do use paypal and ship by fedex ground.We"ll see if I go things to do here first.

Monday, July 11, 2011 7:53 AM
Hi John- yes- that is the guy I bought the front bumper cover from. I just left him a VM

Hi Ron- if the Rhode Island contact does not work out I'll contact you and see what can be found.

Thanks guys!
Monday, July 11, 2011 8:08 PM
Alright then I am strongly considering going to the junkyard for FUN with lots of tools to strip goodies that I can use later.Tues maybe the time for me to jump on that before I start my car cleaning on the wifes car and mother in laws rides later in the day.See what you have caused made me start thinking of all the cool stuff I might get for my cav or trk if I go.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:55 AM
Hi Ron,

Yer priorities seem in order for me!

The RI guy might be able to help but is not positive. Can you check for me if you go to the yard and pull a good looking tank if ou can find one? I'll send a PM shortly as well.

Thanks!
John
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:40 PM
Hi Ron,

PM sent in reply to yours Wednesday eve. Many thanks!
-John

(Quoting a past member)-"Never underestimate a First Gen"
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:19 PM
Here is the tank your requesting.I still need to get a box may have one,and some bubble wrap or packing material.Let me get this packed up and I will get your info thru a pm.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 6:00 AM
That sure do look purty.

Mine was leaking behind the tank against the fenderwall right near the bolt mount in the lower left (forward) position- at that height it held perhpaps an inch at best of fluid.

Thanks again Ron!

(Quoting a past member)-"Never underestimate a First Gen"
Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:58 PM
2 part epoxy works wonders
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search