LED Reverse Lights - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LED Reverse Lights
Saturday, January 07, 2012 4:23 PM
So I was at a swap meet today and saw these. I actually was thinking of using them to solve a lense melting problem common to 93-02 Camaros and I realized they would look pretty sweet on my Sunbird. So, long story short, I brought them home.

LED on right, 26 year old bulb on left

Finished Product

Much more light when backing up, no heat, and probably will never burn out. Sounds like a triple win to me. Only downside is cost. It will be kinda pricey to go through the whole car with these.

Thoughts / Opinions?

Re: LED Reverse Lights
Saturday, January 07, 2012 5:21 PM
Look really bright. I could use these on my F150, It is a little hard to see through the tinted windows and then through the cap I have on It.

Saturday, January 07, 2012 8:40 PM
Neat idea and look like there is a signifigant lighting difference.Idk if I want to upgrade to fancyness like that my car might not approve(ha ha).Does look good paul and if it helps solve a issue even better.

Sunday, January 08, 2012 4:16 AM
Did they fit in the socket or did you have to wire them in? How much?
I think they look great compared to the old bulb

Sunday, January 08, 2012 7:32 AM
These draw much less current off the electrical too. Incandescent bulbs really are so 20th century, and you are right, Paul, all that heat generated by the old bulbs are murder on plastic parts - so much worse on antique pieces.
I'm betting by 2020 led lighting will be as common as nails!!

Sunday, January 08, 2012 9:24 AM
You can see LED creeping in on all the new models coming out.

As far as the bulbs themselves, they are a self-contained LED unit, kinda like flashlights are going. They plug right in using the 1157 socket we all have. You can google them on amazon.com and they are coming in around $10 for a pair plus shipping. I wanted to see them and make sure so I waited for the swap meet. I paid $20 for the pair, tested and in hand.

Not sure what I will do next, sure wish these were around when I had my IP apart to replace all of those lights. I am sure the cost on these will be coming down as time passes. Of course, all of our little bulbs could be going the way of 35mm film.

BTW, this does solve the problem for my Camaro They have a problem (more so on the 98-02 cars than my 94) if you have tailight covers that the two layes of plastic retain the heat and eventually melts and collapses the lense.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:28 AM
The LED lights area great idea, but suffer from one issue: On lights that flash (turn signals) the LEDs don't draw enough amps to properly operate the flasher. There are load equalizers out there to remedy this, but it gets kind of costly & complicated when you are trying to use these bulbs for parking/turn signal/brake light applications. I upgraded the bulbs on my motorcycle, but it was a bit of a pain in the butt...

~ Mike ~

Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:02 AM
Good Observation...

I will definately have to look into that before I go any further.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:04 PM
Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:13 PM
Just purchased a set 63 led reverse bulbs for my F150. I'll let you know how they work out. The guy I got them from said I won't be disappointed. Well we all know what that means.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:47 PM
xavier wylde wrote:Electronic flasher units

This. The only lights left on my car that aren't LED are the actual headlight bulbs themselves. Everything else is LED, and I used two Trico EP27 flashers (directional and hazard).

Friday, January 27, 2012 6:20 AM
James Cahill wrote:
xavier wylde wrote:Electronic flasher units

This. The only lights left on my car that aren't LED are the actual headlight bulbs themselves. Everything else is LED, and I used two Trico EP27 flashers (directional and hazard).

Well then........., I guess I'll be switching out the bulbs in my wagon for LEDs if I can find some that will fit inside the lenses !
One question though....Do the LEDs you use throw enough light (or at least as much as the incandescents) on the side marker & parking lights ? I know I had to go through several different types of LEDs to get an LED bulb bright enough for the stop/tail light on my motorcycle.
I've found that LEDs work great behind clear lenses, but not as well sometimes behind old school amber & red lenses.

~ Mike ~

Friday, January 27, 2012 5:49 PM
Michael E wrote:
Well then........., I guess I'll be switching out the bulbs in my wagon for LEDs if I can find some that will fit inside the lenses !

The joy of LED is that they are very small. Don't limit your ideas to the "plug in" type bulbs, as long as the LED string can handle 12V, you can do whatever you want. I currently have the LED's from a 2003 G35 in my housings, with plans to incorporate the dual intensity set from a 2005 7 Series BMW.

Michael E wrote:

One question though....Do the LEDs you use throw enough light (or at least as much as the incandescents) on the side marker & parking lights ? I know I had to go through several different types of LEDs to get an LED bulb bright enough for the stop/tail light on my motorcycle.
I've found that LEDs work great behind clear lenses, but not as well sometimes behind old school amber & red lenses.

Be aware that incandescent throw light in a 360 degree pattern, most LED are 90 - 120 degree. You will most likely be disappointed with the results if trying to just replace a bulb with a plug-in type. It just won't look the same because the light won't be using the reflector like the incan did. Know what I mean?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search