Factory Exhaust - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Factory Exhaust
Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:43 PM
Hello all first post to site restoring 84 Sunbird le Convertible been working on for about 5 years need to know if any one has a picture of how the muffler mounted have strap and hanger But not sure how hanger should go was not on car when Got it.Strap is easy to figure out brack could go several way .Thanks for any help.

[IMG]

Re: Factory Exhaust
Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:41 PM
Well welcome to the site.I myself own a cav and not super sure my bracket/hanger set is the same but should be.I think I may have a pic of my stuff,just need to find it and can link it.I am the parts guy and generally find most 1st gen parts no longer made.I have a post here with all of my finds and if you are looking for something let me know.I do not come across too many sunbirds but the cav shares alot of the same components and even some of the newer birds have things you can use.Again welcome and I am Ron .

Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:50 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/647974/1985-chevrolet-cavalier/page-6#6479740021 Ok here is my exhaust pic on my cav.We do have another member with a 84 sunbird and he probably could chime in this to verify if his setup is alike.

Friday, January 13, 2012 9:56 AM

Thank you very much for the welcome and the pics it looks to be the same. It looks as if I am missing where the bracket bolts . Should be easy enough to figure out now that I have the correct orientation of bracket. this site as a lot of knowledge on the j bodys . Its great you have parts in my area there are not as many salvage yards as there used to be Ive only found 1 that has any j bodys and there pretty well picked over the one item i have not been able to locate is the air baffle under the front bumper the one i have is being held together with a metal plate and rivets . It works but is an eye sore .

[IMG]
Friday, January 13, 2012 11:33 AM
A little slow on the draw here, but it appears to be the same as my Sunbird.

Friday, January 13, 2012 7:36 PM
Take a pic and show us your wheels already and the piece you have mended.If I come across one that is on spot not broken rather I could get it for you.As I said sunbirds especiallly early stuff is not seen here too often and if one pops in and part you could use to fix that botched area before it hits the crusher.I use photo bucket or my cardomain for my pics.Pb is quicker tho for easy links or showing images.If you need any misc items just ask and I do use paypal and normally ship fedex ground.Ok

Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:34 AM
Uhhh OOOO.... Surfed thru my picts on my Sunbird to help out the other day...and discovered I got the same problem K923 has. Does this look like yours under there?

Looks like I'll be doing the same thing K923 is doing when the pretty weather returns. For now, everything is hanging and not banking around up in there, so I ought to be ok till then. If you get yours finished , share your trials & tribulations !! :-) You might have a trick or 2 for the rest of us!!

Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:14 AM
http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t455/k923/
This link should work to photo Bucket some before and after shots . I looked under her this morning and there does not appear to be anything to mount the bracket to . In rons picture there looks to be two bolts to a bracket . The funny part is if i look at the walker Catalog or the ap Exhaust catalog they both reference using the strap and bracket .

[IMG]
Saturday, January 14, 2012 2:49 PM
Here is the detail on mine. I lost the strap when I replaced the muffler with the larger Magnaflow unit.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 2:12 PM
Thanks for the picture i think its a combo of the two there is a couple parts listed as early production or late mine is oct 83 could be either .Paul sent a picture i will most likely do something along the line of the bracket he welded on just reverse where his j hook is .also i put a link to photo Bucketwith some picture of the work already done .let me know what you think.
Keith

[IMG]
Sunday, January 15, 2012 4:00 PM
Keith-

Your car looks awesome. It looks like our cars could almost be stunt doubles of each other.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:14 PM
Thanks Paul yours as been a bit of an inspiration I found a picture on line a few years back and set it as my screen saver at work.I think you were having a conversation about drl that led me to this site , Mine is not a turbo ,This is actually my third Sunbird I bought one brand new in 1984 2dr coupe two tone red over silver 1.8 5 speed i loved that car it got hit in dec of 87 then I ordered an 88 se not the same car . Not putting down 2nd gens just wasn't the same I found this on ebay about 5 years back paid 127.00 and shipped it to Ma from Iowa 600.00 it sat for many years the odometer says 42000 i ran a car fax and it says 42000 so i'm not sure if it ever rolled over . I still have a ways to go .Going to start on the rest of the interior soon the dash and all hard plastics have been repainted need new carpet dr panel are rough as well.Have all the new seals from soft seal should be doing those in the next month or so then recover the seats . I have done all the work with the exception of the roof (not a diy job) the same guy will recover the seats and rear side covers for 750.00 . From looking at this site it seems we all have a hard time finding the same parts Window sweeps are the worst the the front air baffle is tough as well . In time ill find one or make one from fiberglass. the other area is the trunk. Will be doing that in spring hopefully ive got to find a spare tire cover or trace one and make out of hard board. All the ones ive found are warped from water and years of weight sitting on them .
Keith

[IMG]
Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:09 PM
Keith I made a NEW spare tire cover for my nephews 98 accord with NEW carpet and fit like a glove! I went to lowes bought some of that brown fiber board like 1/4 inch thick traced my old cover jigsawed and then cut carpet to fit and glued.Now granted OUR carpet lays over the spare cover fiber board and I would at least prime the board and paint like flat black or semi flat or satin.I would def DO primer the fiber board probably will suck the paint right in or fish eye.I have more fiber board left but too thick to replace the board/carpet over the rear spkrs and at the rear glass.I have to go thinner LIKE 3/16 for this BUT will suggest the 1/4 inch thick for the spare tire cover! SO easy and have a truck if you can to buy the sheet bc it is big in size and close to the doors and windows section.I may snap a shot of this stuff so you know what I am talking about unless u get it already.

Monday, January 16, 2012 3:09 PM
I get it and that is right along the lines of what i'm thinking minus the trace my old one . Don't have the old one. The one's that I have come across at salvage yard are water damaged or warped beyond tracing . Thinking of using poster board as a template in the trunk then transfer to hard board ( I believe you call it fiber board ) Think we are saying the same thing .Have you refinished the inside of your trunk ? Was thinking of using a spray on bed liner when I do mine good for both longevity and sound absorption . Funny part is the carpet is still in real nice shape and with the car ( trunk Carpet ) . the hardest part will be locating where the hole need to go for the big wing nut

[IMG]
Monday, January 16, 2012 3:56 PM
As Ron said, Welcome to the site.
It's good to see some other Mass people on here. I have a parts car (84 Cav sedan) stored up in Nashua, NH and it might have the trunk board in it (Same as Sunbird?). I'm going up there this week and can look at it to see if it is any good. The Bird Looks great! Looks like you have done a fantastic job on it. Who did the roof? Mine is in need of replacing and was thinking of doing it myself. I got two quotes of $1,200 for mine and was kind of in sticker shock as I paid $500 for the same top in 1991.

Monday, January 16, 2012 5:21 PM
Hello John and thanks for the welcome and comments on the car .The roof was don by Bob Webber I believe his name is He runs Belmont Auto Seat cover his work is great .The roof was 850.00
I to got quotes from $1200-$1500 took him about 4days .I think he would have been quicker but had a tough time with chrome around the rear windows mine was pitted pretty bad so I sent it to nu-chrome in fall river (dont use them ) After sending the parts out I found tons of bad reviews from people not getting there parts back so I took a trip to jacks in Billerica there is 1 84-85 cav convertible two 86-87 Sunbirds there pretty well picked over but the chrome was there so I grabed it but it would not fit on right. Holes would not line up .About a month after that I got my stuff back from nu-chrome (not the best job ) Your cav looks great. If you have spare tire cover let me know what you want .
Thanks
Keith

[IMG]
Monday, January 16, 2012 8:54 PM
You know I wonder IF all the cav/birds probably do have the same spare cover?If so I find them all day long here some good,some not.SInce no first gen birds are here I have cavs to choose from all day long.I might snap a pic of mine and post TO see if yours looks like it.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:00 AM
Thanks Ron that would be great John is going to see if he has one this weekend if not it would be great if you find a good one .
Thanks
Keith

[IMG]
Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:46 PM
Keith, Here are some pictures of the trunk board. It's oooook, it has what I think is the bottom of the carpet felt melted to it. I took some windex to it and it seems to be coming off. I will leave it to you to properly clean if you can use it. It is a little warped on the flat end as you can see. I also took a picture of the muffler clamp that you were asking about just in case you needed anything from that area. I'll probably keep this car until the end of next summer and then strip it and junk the shell. PM me if you want the board or anything else.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 5:10 PM
John life got busy will try and call this week about the spare tire cover.
Keith

[IMG]
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search